primary fermentation problems/odors

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozzie

Wild Berry Wine-Maker
Reaction score
Making my second batch of wine ever. Terry Garey's "Liquid Sunshine" which is a carrot/apricot/orange wine. I've got in in the secondary fermenter now, looks okay, airlock giving off a nice champagne yeasty smell. But at primary fermentation, I added the yeast dry out of the package, and it didn't begin fermentation or doing anything for 2 maybe 2 1/2 days. (I had waited 24 hours after campden to add pectic enzyme, and then 24 hours after pectic to add yeast) I was thinking of tossing the batch as the must didn't smell that great and nothing was happening. Then all of a sudden....fermentation. But it smelled BAD the first day or two. Hard to describe, but not like anything I've read online. Not rotten egg/sulfur, not vinegar. It smelled like if you drank 1/2 can of orange juice concentrate and then belched through a sweaty t-shirt. Sort of citric/acidic/old gym sock. Made me think it was going bad. But I stuck with it, and have it in secondary, and it smells quite pleasant with nothing but the champagne yeasty smell coming out. What are my odds that I'm making vinegar or something gross and/or toxic? Only thing I can think of is that I stored my yeast in the fridge and went straight from the fridge to the must, and put in dry. (red star champagne) But the recipe didn't say to hydrate it before putting it in.

If you had hydrated the yeast before adding it, it probably would have taken off quicker. Smell is probably just the yeast fermenting. Sounds like everything is going ok, I am sure it will be just fine. Stay the course.

I think you'll be fine, I've heard that apricots can sometimes give off some funky aromas while fermenting...

Latest posts

Back