Primary fermentation in carboy?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will

Junior
Reaction score
Is there any disadvantage to doing my primary fermentation in a carboy as opposed to the plastic bucket? I really don't like the spigot on the bucket. With kids and pets running around it feels like an accident waiting to happen. Does anyone have any experience doing that?

The main issue is not enough room in a carboy even if you use a 6.5 gallon. I am sure it has been done but would not even attempt it in a 6 gallon.

I tried a fermentation with a mead once in a carboy and it was a big mess with foam spewing out the top!

Wow, I didn't even think about that. I'll just get a bucket without the spigot. Thanks.

Will,

We had the same concern. I put the primary in a corner with the spigot facing the corner so it was completely protected.

Having the spigot makes racking out of the primary real easy and leaves most of the lees behind.

GrapeApe.

Ialways felt that 'stuff' can get into the spigot..'stuff' like pet hair, bugs, dust, etc....
So now when I sanitize the bucket, I run sulfite thought the spigot, squirt sulfite on the outside of the spigot....then I cut the finger off a surgical glove, pull it over the spigot and wrap tight with rubber band...nothing gets into the open end of the spigot...
smiley4.gif
Safe fermenting!!!!

I dont think the must would get enough oxygen for a prpoer fermentation either.

Will,

We had the same concern. I put the primary in a corner with the spigot facing the corner so it was completely protected.

Having the spigot makes racking out of the primary real easy and leaves most of the lees behind.

GrapeApe.

That's exactly what I did! Great minds think alike...
smiley4.gif
</font>
Edited by: Will

The airlock brush works really well on the 1/2" spigot for getting all of the gunk out.

Latest posts

Back