primary fermentation around .990 - lost?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisj8221

Junior
Reaction score
I ended up having an emergency and let a wine kit stay in a primary fermenter for about 10 days. When i did a reading it was at .990, or maybe even below...

my question - is this wine salvagable as i was suppose to put into carboy when SG-1.1 or less or should i just dump it?

any suggestions would be much appreciated.

cj

Put in the carboy, add 1/8 tap k-meta and potassium sorbate for how ever many gallons you have and go from there. No I don't think its ruined, the old time guys would leave it 2 months and rack off the wine into bottles and toss the rest. Not the best way but I guess it works.

Similar to previous comments. There were instructions and supplies (packets) provided with your kit. My suggestion is to go forward with them. Note: don't add your kit's packets plus the k-meta and potassium sorbate mentioned above. That would be duplication.

Also, please let us know which kit you're using.

Many of us regularly primary to dry and ten days is not unusual or even two weeks. Assuming you have an air lock installed. How does it smell and taste.

Don't add any extra sorbate. Sorbate is not absolutely necessary unless you are going to back sweeten or add an F pack to the wine.

Compared to KMETA, sorbate does have some slight anti-bacterial characteristics, but not enough to warrant its yucky bubble gum taste in situations where it is not truly necessary.

For now, if your kit instructions includes sorbate, add that. As you become more experienced you will be better able to decide when and if sorbate is necessary. A lot will depend on whether you, like some of us, can really taste the sorbate.

ok - here is some more information.

I actualy have two kits started. One is an internation selection - pinot noir and the other is a vintners reserve sauv. blanc

we did not have an airlock installed, the "pail" we purchased has a loose fitting lid on it.

I will have to wait until the wine tasting expert in our family gets back to let you know more about smell and taste.

When fermenting to dry (under SG1.000) I usually put an airlock on the primary bucket after about day 7 or when the fermentation is visibly slow or stopped or when the SG is at or near 1.000. At that point I stop opening the primary to stir, and usually remove grape pack or raisins at that point also. It's kind of like racking to secondary carboy without actually racking to a carboy. Since these are kits it's time to move to the stabilizing and clearing step. Follow the instruction from here on out unless you plan to bulk age, and that's another thread. :)

Just understand that brand new fermented wine most often is not going to taste very good, even under the best of circumstances. It is going to be tart and sort of lifeless.

Based on all you have reported, I'll bet BOTH your wines are going to be just fine. Just don't jump to any conclusions. Relax!

perfect. thanks tonyt. that is what i was going to do.

Basically is seems like i did both the primary and secondary fermentation in the pail.

Thanks to all for the great advice. i will let you know how it turned out... in about 6 months:)

cj

Back