Prepping new barrel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fivebk

Reaction score
I purchased a new Vadai 23L barrel several months ago. I have just got around to prepping it. I followed all the directions and my question is this..... How long do I need to leave the barrel filled with water to be sure it won't start to leak? Right now the barrel has been full of water for three days with absolutely no signs of any leakage. Am I safe to go ahead and drain the barrel and fill it with wine??

Thanks

BOB

Sounds like a good prep to me, Bob. If the barrel is dry, you did a very good job.

Your call, but before I put wine in a new barrel, I always put about a pint or so of K-meta solution (3T k-meta to one gallon of water) and let is sit for a day or so. Then I rinse it with hot water before adding the wine.

Mike, are you sticking with the 23 liter or have you gone up a few sizes? With as much as you are making, I would imagine you are at least contemplating larger barrels. I finally have my two 23's working again. I like to make 18 gallon batches so I am thinking about a 50 liter barrel from Vadai. We will see what Santa says.

I was all set to get a 40L for only ~$20 more but I had nothing really to break it in with except for that CC LR Red Mountain Trio that I began 2 weeks ago so I decided to just get another 23L and toss that kit in as the break in kit. Since all the other barrels have had exposure to MLB I did not want to risk MLB getting into that wine (or mess with Lysozyme) so new barrel, new kit for 4 weeks, then I will rotate the 8 carboys of fresh grapes from this years crush (almost finished with MLF) through all 4 barrels over the course of the next 12 months or so until the next year crush is ready (rinse, repeat).

I don't have any demijohns so everything is in 6 gallon batches anyway so 8 carboys a year and 4 barrels to move the wine in and out over 12 months seems to work out nicely. I don't see myself getting more and more grapes. This seems like the right amount. Very manageable!

Latest posts

Back