Pre Fermentation Steps?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adame

Junior
Reaction score
Correct me if this is incorrect.

1. Pick Grapes
2. Press Grapes
3. Add Campden tablets\sulfites
4. Wait 24 hours
5. Rack off of heavy sediment
6. Pitch yeast

My biggest question is it necessary to rack the heavy sediment before pitching the yeast? I was told to do this and didn't really think it would be necessary? (Obviously for a white\rose wine) Also is it necessary to wait 24 hours to kill wild yeast?

What kind of grapes?
For most white grapes you would destem/crush, press, let settle, rack, then continue.
For most reds, you would not press or rack before fermentation.

OK, just better read your post and am assuming you are asking about whites.
There are several methods for coming up with a rosie, so I won't address it.

A white should be pressed. The must then should be allowed to settle out to as clean a juice as possible. This makes a better white in most situations. It may take more than 24 hours for it to settle. The white is then racked off the large sediment. If you skip this step it will affect the taste of the wine.

Last edited:
Adding SO2 and waiting 24 hours doesn't kill wild yeast, it stuns it and gives your isolated yeast a head start.

Agree with all of the above for whites, except..

1. Pick Grapes
2. Press Grapes (slowly)
3. Test acid and PH
4. Adjust acid (to a minimum of .57g/l (this will do for now)
5. Add initial dose of yeast neutriant
6. Add Campden tablets\sulfites
4. Wait 24 hours
5. Rack off of heavy sediment
6. Pitch yeast

Here is a reasonable document on the steps for making white wines from fresh/frozen grapes. Morewinemaking also has a version for red wines. It is what I used when I started.

http://www.morewinemaking.com/public/pdf/wwhiw.pdf

Don't know if I agree 100% with the document, but it is a good starter reference.

All I do is get the grapes on a Sunday. The following Tuesday we crush them, punch the cap twice on Friday and then once Saturday morning. Extract the free flow, barrel it, then we press the grapes for the rest, barrel it all up. No sulphate a or anything and wait from October until Easter then we have wine!! Going on our 3rd year this October without a hitch!!

All I do is get the grapes on a Sunday. The following Tuesday we crush them, punch the cap twice on Friday and then once Saturday morning. Extract the free flow, barrel it, then we press the grapes for the rest, barrel it all up. No sulphate a or anything and wait from October until Easter then we have wine!! Going on our 3rd year this October without a hitch!!

So, would you say that you go the organic/natural route?

Do you add any yeast (or do you go natural with that too)?

Very interesting. Seems to me that you barrel it just at the apex of fermentation. Do you bung the barrel with a trap? if so, has the trap ever clogged up on you?

I drive without my seatbelt. Never had a problem so why should I mess with all that newfangled stuff like common sense and science.

Latest posts

Back