potassium sorbate ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lieu

Reaction score
I have a 6 gallon carboy with a sweet Cab. Sauv. I think I need to add some sorbate before bottling. How much should I add and is there any other instructions you all have ? Bruce

1/2 teaspoon per gallon. Add a pinch of sulfite. Blend well and wait a few weeks to see if it referments. Then bottle

Rocky,
I will check the SG and let you know. This is the juice bucket that I had a stuck fermentation with last year.

One year later after a stuck fermentation......I would just K-Meta it(1/4 teaspoon for). It is not going to restart. Not with good dose of K Meta

Hey mmadmikes1,
I just figured it was an easy insurance policy. Does the sorbate add anything that I might not want ie: slight taste or something like that?

Hey Rocky,
I just checked the SG and it was 1.010. Not overly sweet but sweeter that I usually drink.

I dont use Sorbate ,ever, any more. I can taste it, most say they can't. I wonder if they have ever drank a wine without it. I also don't add K Meta at start. Don't like to add anything I don't need

I am trying to get away from using Sorbate as well - I am beginning to taste it as well. At first I couldn't - but now I can taste it.

It doesn't hurt anything and most people cannot taste it..

I just keep telling people you don't need it and have experience to show it. Not one popped cork or bad batch since I quit

Pin ups

THIS MAY HELP READ WHEN GOOD INES GONE BAD POSTED LAST NIGHT......PIN UPS:try

Do you still sweeten your wines?? Do you just add in k-meta?? Any absolute filtration?
I sweeten most fruit and berry wines. I use K Meta in small amounts(sometimes). I have been aging in Corny Kegs and purging with CO2 to control Oxidation and skipping the K Meta more often lately. I use yeast with the alcohol tolerances I am after and max out the yeasts. Dead yeast can not re-ferment. I bulk age at least 6 months most often a year and sometime 2 years before I bottle(after backsweeting) No I do not filter any more. I own a filter but have stopped using it. Aging a year or 2 eliminates most problems the filter would solve. Out of each 6 gallon batch I get a couple bottles that will not fit into 5 gal corny keg. Even those seem to be ok. I do store them cool to cold. Fruit wines are better chilled anyway. I only backsweetin fruits

Thanks Guys,
I am going to add the kmeta and call it good.-Bruce

Hey mmadmikes1,
Is it a 1/4 tsp per gallon or 6 gallon carboy?

Back