Potassium Sorbate needed??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winesnob

Reaction score
I got this "merlot kit" from my wife for X-mas. I started it 1 week prior to starting my WE kit. It's a very beginner's kit she got at a discount housewares store. It only makes 4 bottles. Anyway, I'm in the "stabilizing" stage and it says to add the packets of potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulfite. Well, I have the potassium metabisulfite, but it didn't have the potassium sorbate. Maybe that's why it was at a discount place...
smiley36.gif
. Do I really need this? What can I use in it's place? I'm suppose to bottle by tomorrow. I checked the local brewers place, but all they have is beer stuff and no sorbate.

thanks,
winesnob

Potassium sorbate is the stabilizer. It inhibits the yeast and in most
cases stops further fermentation. It will stop exploding bottle
syndrome.

George has it and it is fairly cheap. I would say it would be a good idea to get some.

Sorbate also helps against bacterial contamination when working with the metabisulfite along with preventing re-fermentation in the bottle. If you have faith in your sanitation techniques and are sure the wine has completed fermentation and there is no residual sugar left then the risk is fairly small with a kit that only made 4 bottles.

Somehome winemakers don't use sorbate on dry wines but it is always included in kits since it increases your chances of success and reduces the failures.

No substitute that I know of that can be used in it's place.

Latest posts

Back