potassium metabisulfite ( degassing )

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zember311

Reaction score
I have spent the last hour reading all the past articles fromthe newsletters, mainly in reguards to degassing and potassium metabisulfite.

I see now why wines need to be degassed ( since I don't want to wait months on end for nature, time and gravity to degas it for me. I have company coming ya know,ahah

So, that much makes sense and tells me why I am purchasing a drill mount degasser.

But when it comes to potassium metabisulfite / stablizers added just before bottlin, does this also have to be stirred to death before bottling to remove the sulfur smell ? I added a tab to a gallon I put in the fridge to cold rack , I opened it up the other night and WOW what a nasty nasty smell of sulfur.

Also I read from your writers about, after first racking, ( 10 ) days after, the second racking would get the K-Meta then the fourth before bottling but they mentioned a 3 to 4 month time spam difference...

If I was to do a first rack, no tab since I still have CO2 , then 10 days later add 1 tab to the gallon, let it sit two weeks before bottling, is that enough time spam to add another tab before bottling, or whill that one still work ?

I'm just trying to take what you use as a average rule of thumb, but also I try to keep in mind, a gallon jug is going to settle much quicker I would think then 5 or 6 gallons of dead yeasties.

Thanks again,

Kyle

I would not add another tab before bottling unless you plan on aging this wine in the bottle for longer then a year.

smiley32.gif

Thank you !

I think I'm set ~

Well until the next question
smiley2.gif

That should get me to the bottling and consuming, and no I dont plan on keeping these batches longer then it takes to drink. But in the future it's good to know. I'll wait till I get my 3 gallon fermenting going on then, I think I will try to " keep " a few bottles to age.

Latest posts

Back