Potassium and sodium Metabisulfite

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Outside of the chemical composition there is virtually no difference for wine makers. Both sanitize, react with yeast, and act as an antioxidant almost equally well and in the same way. The chemical composition, though, is a big deal for a lot of wine makers and many others. Sodium metabisulfite adds sodium to the process which could be harmful to those with diabetes, certain allergies, and the like. For this reason, I believe almost all experienced wine makers prefer k-meta as an additive (except those using Campden Tablets). For use as a sanitizer they are interchangeable.

Tony P.

Last edited:
Outside of the chemical composition there is virtually no difference for wine makers. Both sanitize, react with yeast, and act as an antioxidant almost equally well and in the same way. The chemical composition, though, is a big deal for a lot of wine makers and many others. Sodium metabisulfite adds sodium to the process which could be harmful to those with diabetes, certain allergies, and the like. For this reason, I believe almost all experienced wine makers prefer k-meta as an additive (except those using Campden Tablets). For use as a sanitizer they are interchangeable.

Tony P.
Good answer Tony. But I want to point out that campden tablets are available (some places anyway) as both sodium and potassium.

Steve

For those who use the Sodium, are the measurements used the same as the K Meta? As in 1 tbl spoon per half gallon as a sanitizer, etc?

Just to toss in my 2 cents..

I remember reading that the potassium in k-meta (in itself) has more benefit to wine since potassium is a more naturally occuring element in fruit juices.

Johnny, I used sodium last night , and it said 2 oz per gallon..

Seriously, switch to using Potassium M. I don't even know why they sell the Sodium M. for wine making, but I guess there is a good reason.

Robie... Is k-meta that much better then sodium? What benefits are there using it.... ( k-meta).... Other then.....salts

Seriously, switch to using Potassium M. I don't even know why they sell the Sodium M. for wine making, but I guess there is a good reason.

In eastern Canada where I live, the Kmeta is quite a bit more expensive than the sodium meta so I use the Na for sanitizing and the K for additive. I don't know if this cost difference is prevalent in other areas.

Robie... Is k-meta that much better then sodium? What benefits are there using it.... ( k-meta).... Other then.....salts

The sodium version is a salt and as such, can add to your daily salt (sodium) intake limit. So many are trying to limit their sodium intake these days. Other than that, I can't say there is an advantage of one over the other.

However, as the previous post indicates, the potassium can cost more than the sodium in some areas of the world.

Thanks Robie.... I'm only gonna use the sodium as a sanitizer.....starting my first kit tonight..... Hopefully.

Thanks Robie.... I'm only gonna use the sodium as a sanitizer.....starting my first kit tonight..... Hopefully.

Good move. I think that someday we are going to discover that the not large but massive over use of sodium is causing more problems than we suspect. It is our kids who are even more subjected to it these days.

<deleted comment> First of all, the concentration of metabisulfite in most wine is less than 100 ppm (legal limit in USA is 350ppm, but not many excedd 125 ppm). The concentration of Na in the sodium form of meta-BS is about 24%, therefore the concentration of sodium added to the wine is 18 mg per bottle (750 mL or 742 gm), which equates to 4.5 mg per glass. At this concentration there is absolutely no biological affect, no sensory taste, and no effect on diabetes. At a recommended maximum daily intake of 1500 mg of sodium for hypertension patients, a glass of wine is equivalent to 0.3% of this level. Let me put this in perspective; you would need to drink 300 glassed of wine to be concerned about your sodium intake.

The real difference for wine makers is that the potassium form of metabisulfite is more soluble in cold water than the sodium form. Check the USDA Nutritional database for nutrient info on fruits. Grapes have no appreciable amount of sodium or potassium. Apples do have about 100x more potassium than sodium.
<another deleted comment>

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't speak for anybody else, but I prefer to avoid that extra 150mg/day of sodium intake!

:) :) :)

Back