Post your labels here

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom,

Not sure if you have bottled your Coastal Red but I add oak to mine and omg it is wonderful, I am on my third kit! Just a thought

Tom,

Not sure if you have bottled your Coastal Red but I add oak to mine and omg it is wonderful, I am on my third kit! Just a thought

Rob, This is my first kit and I was scared to deviate from the directions very much but I figured a few oak chips wouldnt hurt. I put about 4 oz in while it was in primary but put a piece of mesh around my racking cane tip when I transfered to secondary. You can taste the oak but not really enough. I still got one of the kits, how much, what kind, and how long do you leave the oak in yours.
I think the kit is gonna be pretty good considering the cost.
Tom

What does hibiscus wine taste like? I have 20 in our greenhouse (for the winter)

The hibiscus is really good. It doesn't taste like wine by itself though. I drink a really sweet jamaica juice (pronounced hah-my-ee-kuh) in Mexico and I thought "maybe I should try making this into a hard hibiscus tea!" I added a whole bag of chopped gold and black raisins, which really gave it a lot more body. And how is it? Everyone loved it. It definitely has that hibiscus tea flavor. And the color is really pretty. It is like a blush, but deep red and transparent.

Tom,

The first Coastal red I put it in the secondary for 2 weeks, seems like I did about 4oz. The one I am working on now I just left it in there for the long term, most folks here believe all of the oak is used up in 2 weeks so leaving wont really matter if you leave in long term, I do have to tell you this one is going to be full body and excellent flavor! I did some research on this kid and found it is a Frence Bordeaux consisting of three grapes Cab, Merlot and Syah

I make mine with a Hibiscus Tea
mex-grocer_2244_63670973
out of this stuff. I then add concord or other red grape juice for body and flavor. In the secondary I add oak and then age. It is one of my best scratch wines.

What does hibiscus wine taste like? I have 20 in our greenhouse (for the winter)

CowboyPhil, I'd love the recipe of you're willing to share. I lived in Guatemala for a few years and LOVE jamaica.

Back