Quantcast

Post-racking off gross less, floaties on top

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Reaction score
Hi, I'm hoping to receive a little guidance on my first batch of wine from grapes. Here's some background on where I'm at in the process:

I started with 100 pounds of Barbera grapes with Brix 23.125, pH 3.56, TA 7.125 and OSG 1.0925.

I started primary fermentation, added nutrients, and once going well, started MLF to run concurrently with primary. After about a week, once pH stabilized and CO2 bubbles stopped, I pressed the must into 5 gallon carboys.

Readings after press were Brix -1, pH 3.6, TA 7.45, and FSG 0.996.

I let the wine settle and racked off the gross lees after 2 days, and added 1.66g Free SO2 / 5 gallon for 0.8 ppm molecular SO2. Also, I added an oak Wine Stix at this point.

My next planned step is to rack off the fine lees in 3 weeks.

I checked the wine this morning and it looks like something is floating near the top. Any ideas what this could be and any steps I should take at this point? Thank you for any feedback!

Attachments

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
O'Fallon, MO - Just NorthWest of St. Louis, MO
I wouldn't worry about that stuff floating, it will go away when you next rack. But that adding of SO2 without a check for MLF completion may cause you grief long term. I think I would do a check for mlf completion now, wait two weeks or a month and then check again for comparision. Assuming MLF is stalled out, you may want to consider lysozome to inhibit MLF at this point.

Johnd

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Agree with @stickman , the only glitch in your process was adding sulfite prior to verifying that MLF was complete. With coinoculation, it normally takes a few more weeks for MLF to complete.

Reaction score
Thank you @salcoco, @stickman, @cmason1957, and @Johnd - I appreciate the feedback!

Sounds like I jumped the gun on adding SO2! So far the wine tastes fine, and the pH/TA seem to be in a good spot (tested again last night). I don't have an MLF test kit, so I'll need to get a sample tested and probably add lysozome to make sure there aren't issues down the road.

Latest posts