Post-Malolactic Protocol

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dannit

Junior
Reaction score
Hi, can someone tell me if this protocol is good?

After fermenting red wine to 13-14%ABV followed by 6 weeks malolactic fermentation, it is now time to add sulfites and move on to the next stage. The easiest thing for me to do at the moment would be to simply add sulfites and put the wine in 55F degree storage. If I rack it off the fine lees (and some oak) I'll end up with headspace and no easy way to occupy it (without watering it down). Is it imperative to rack at this point, or can I wait a few weeks to rack off the fine lees until I am ready for degassing and fining? I don't want to degas and fine until my other batches are ready, and then I would do them all at once.

I have read about sur lie aging, but I guess I'm concerned about whether I'll need to stir it. While in MLF, I stirred twice a week. Now I just want to put it away with a closed stopper and forget about it for a few weeks or a month or so, no stirring.

I've also read that at the end of MLF you should splash rack to get rid of any off flavors produced by the MLF. If it smells and tastes fine at this point, is there any reason to do that? I guess I could splash rack and return to the fine lees in the same carboy?

Last edited:
A few weeks more at this stage won’t matter. I’ve had wines in malo for 3 months. Have you actually confirmed malo has been completed?

I don't have any tests for malic acid, just watching bubbles, stirring twice weekly, and noticing the airlock is starting to show less and less pressure. Over the last few days it seems to be winding down. I checked and the pH has indeed risen by about .2 since the beginning of MLF. Is it imperative that I ensure MLF has completed with a malic acid test? I do plan on fining and adding sulfites and sorbate at the end.

So I guess when it winds down completely, I'll add sulfites and put it in 55F degree storage, and not worry about the fine lees for a few weeks until it is more convenient.

Wait. You don't want to, nor do you need to add sorbate to a wine that underwent Malolactic fermentation. The bacteria may interact with the sorbate and produce the wonderful smell of geraniums and there is no way to remove it after it happens.

Whew, I'm glad I mentioned the sorbate then! I had read about the geranium thing, but something else I read gave me the impression that, as long as MLF has completed, it wouldn't be an issue. But anyway, even if that were the case, since I won't be 100% sure the MLF completed, it wouldn't make sense to use sorbate.

As above, and you should not have to splash rack if the fermentations were uneventful.

You might look at lysozyme, particularly if you aren't going to test the malic.

Wait. You don't want to, nor do you need to add sorbate to a wine that underwent Malolactic fermentation. The bacteria may interact with the sorbate and produce the wonderful smell of geraniums and there is no way to remove it after it happens.
That sounds kinda neat. Obviously if that's not what you're going for, no bueno. Seems like it'd be a nice touch in some esoteric special interest wine.

That sounds kinda neat. Obviously if that's not what you're going for, no bueno. Seems like it'd be a nice touch in some esoteric special interest wine.

Have you smelled geraniums? It is one of the most distinct smell memories I have as a kid. Not pleasant at all.

If you wish to have a sweet red would malo not be recommend or is there another way to keep it from starting fermentation back up

Back