Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My nephew and his fiancee are in Italy presently. That's why for the next few days I won't hear them bitching about not being able to afford a house, and the unfairness of it all. :rolleyes:😄
I call it "millennial math".
Travel the world on credit, drive a nice car on credit until they are deep in debt, but can't stay home and save money for a down payment. Oh, and by the way, it's all the baby-boomers' fault. 😕

Travel the world on credit, drive a nice car on credit until they are deep in debt, but can't stay home and save money for a down payment. Oh, and by the way, it's all the baby-boomers' fault. 😕
It’s part of the problem… a large part is that the rise in house prices has far exceeded wage growth. My house value has probably grown by 5x in 25 years. My wages have definitely not kept pace. If I had to buy it now I could not afford the house I live in.

And yet, for many, all they have to do is shut up and WAIT. They are in line to inherit the most massive transfer of wealth in the history of humanity. 😄

It’s part of the problem… a large part is that the rise in house prices has far exceeded wage growth. My house value has probably grown by 5x in 25 years. My wages have definitely not kept pace. If I had to buy it now I could not afford the house I live in.

Yep, house prices are higher. Gee, though, in 1953 my parents built the house we grew up in for a total of $10,000. My first house in 1988 cost me $42,500, and the loan was at 10% interest... and 20% down was required. We did it. How? We denied ourselves immediate pleasures, drove our cars until they were worn out, and saved. That is extremely unpopular behavior today, when the prevailing attitude among many of the young is to do it NOW, don't deny yourself. Saving and living below our means allowed us to pay off our mortgages ahead of time, though. Sorry, as much as business wants consumers to think they can have it all, most people can't. You get to choose. Mortgage your future now by spending and borrowing, or save so you can be better off later.

Shopped for one lately? Just about all of them have standard HAL built right in. 🤣 I have been having a helluva time finding a top of the line model WITHOUT "connectivity."
You do realize that all of these 'connected' devices and able to monitor sound? That way, if there is something mechanical failing, they will be able to tell what it is. SO, the bottom line: don't plot assassination or revolution while fetching a cold beer.

Yep, house prices are higher. Gee, though, in 1953 my parents built the house we grew up in for a total of $10,000. My first house in 1988 cost me $42,500, and the loan was at 10% interest... and 20% down was required. We did it. How? We denied ourselves immediate pleasures, drove our cars until they were worn out, and saved. That is extremely unpopular behavior today, when the prevailing attitude among many of the young is to do it NOW, don't deny yourself. Saving and living below our means allowed us to pay off our mortgages ahead of time, though. Sorry, as much as business wants consumers to think they can have it all, most people can't. You get to choose. Mortgage your future now by spending and borrowing, or save so you can be better off later.
I also got my hands dirty while fixing those old cars while trying to keep the wheels on and made my own repairs to the home that I had squeaked out enough money to buy.

I also got my hands dirty while fixing those old cars while trying to keep the wheels on and made my own repairs to the home that I had squeaked out enough money to buy.

Our first house was abandoned when we spotted it. It had both doors open, the yard was 4 feet tall and it was party central. I found out the name and phone number of the absentee owner and worked a deal where he would pay for materials and I would make it habitable again in exchange for a year of free rent. I worked six months, every night after work and every weekend, to get it so we could move in. After a year of living there, we bought it from the out of state owner. He said just have a Realtor appraise it, so when the agent did, I also showed him the photo album of all the work we did. He appraised it at $20,000 below market, due to all the work I did. The owner accepted, and we were homeowners. We continued to work on the place and when we sold, we more than doubled our total investment.

Kitchen... The sink sewer was clogged, so they disconnected it and used a 5-gallon bucket under it.
1.png

Bath...
2.png

The tub had been connected to the sewer with a radiator hose...
scan0002.jpg

Living room...

3.png

At work...
4.png

After purchase, 24x24 garage...
garage.jpg

Exterior work...
scan0004.jpg

Finished back yard...
garageshed.jpg

Finished front view...
house1.jpg

The new owner got a fully insulated house with an electrical connection pre-installed for adding central HVAC.

There are about 65 houses in the neighborhood where we live, built about 10 years ago. Most people have a shed in their back yard. As far as I know, I am the only person who actually built his shed rather than buying one of the big box store contraptions. I honestly believe that most of the young couples around us are just one paycheck away from foreclosure.

My parents bought their second home (3 and 2) in 1960. Their payment was 106 dollars per month with a 6% interest rate. I remember my father saying several times that he wasn't sure how they would make the payment. They always managed. They were not afraid to say to my brother and I when we wanted something "we can't afford that". There were times we had pancakes for dinner. I always thought that was so great, come to find out that's all they could afford at that time. As time went on the payment got easier to make as wages increased.

Back