Port?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pd2718

Junior
Reaction score
I have wine in a carboy for thirty years. I opened it. It tastes like a tawny port. A little hot on the alcohol.
Going to bottle it. Anything I should watch out for?

I have wine in a carboy for thirty years. I opened it. It tastes like a tawny port. A little hot on the alcohol.
Going to bottle it. Anything I should watch out for?

Can you give us any more details ?
Did you make it ?
Did you keep up the sulfites and airlock ?
was it originally a port to start with ?
Do you have any hydrometer readings at all ?

I am surprised that it has a alcohol hotness to it ?

Here are the details. It was originally a blackberry wine my father made. It's been decanted twice with the last time 30 years ago. 6 gallons in a carboy. Has a pale straw color. Air tight but no sulphate additions.
To me it tasted like a brandy. He said he added sugar in addition to the blackberry to make it a 15% wine.
I have no idea what the gravity readings were.
The plastic bung had rotted in the neck and I had to cut it out. He had it sealed with a plastic bag and wrapped it tight.
Smelled good but wasn't like a wine.

Very interesting! Kinda cool to think you are drinking something your father made half a lifetime ago.

If it were mine, I would add some k-meta right away. Even though it is already kinda oxidized, I would worry that it could get very oxidized very fast upon full exposure to air.

How much k meta to add?
Why do you think it's oxidized?
Thanks for the advice. It's appreciated.

I think it is oxidized because you said it tastes like Tawny Port. That is pretty much what that taste stems from.

I would add 1/4 tsp of powder (dissolved in a small amount of water) for 6 gallons.

Latest posts

Back