WineXpert Port Selection Special: Stopped Fermenting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff H

Reaction score
To everyone that's made this kit, I could use some guidance...

Initial fermentation was held at 75 degrees. I was very careful to get the volume to exactly 11.5L (3 gals) when I started the kit. After I transfered the kit to a carboy, thetemp was kept around 70 degrees. Primary fermentation made it to 1.014, I added the corn sugar per the instructions and the sg went up to 1.027. After 5 days (day 14) the sg dropped to 1.022.I splashed racked into the carboy at this point since it seemed to be very sluggish and I had hoped to kick theyeast back into action.

For the lasttwo weeksthe sg has remained at 1.022. The current abv is at 15.76. I'm on day 28. If the kit got down to 1.010 as recommended the abv would be 17.4. I figure I have a few choices:

1) Try and re-start the fermentation with new yeast: From what I've read this has a 50/50 chance of working.
2) Try and re-start the fermentation with the slurry (EC-1118) from another kit: I will have another kit ready to transfer to a carboy next weekend. This seems to be the best choice if I decide to try and re-start it. Probability of success seems to be 80%. Think this will be a problem after the fermentation has been stopped for 3 weeks and I throw it back into the primary?
3) Leave it alone, fore-go adding the f-pack, stabilize the kit, accept the lower abv and move on. It tastes OK at this point, I would not want it any sweeter. I guess I could fortify it but I'm OK with the current abv.

I realize this is not a "new" problem with this kit.There are numerous "stuck fermentation" posts around that tell the same tale. So if you've been here what did you do?

Thanks for the guidance, Jeff

Edited by: Jeff H

Im guessing this is the Raspberry Choc and mine stopped just a little lower then where yours is and i accepted it and left it alone and it really didnt seem to get much sweeter when F-pack was added. You could do either of what you typed here but Id be a little worried about stealing the yeast from another kit that was still going as you dont want 2 kits finishing early. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Wade, It is the regular WE Selection Speciale Port. I'm leaning towards using the slurry from another kit. There is still alot of C02 in the Port carboy so it should be fine until next week. The other kits yeast should beacclimated to just over 12% alcohol at that time, so it just might work.I'll just make sure I remove as much of the gross lees as possible. I figure I'll add a little at a time over a few hours and see what happens. I've kicked off a beer fermentation using another kits slurry, it does finish fast. I'm OK with it finishing fast so I can get it back in a carboy and O2 protected. Thanks for the guidance and the luck. Jeff

Edit: I guess I have to think about the sugar volume in addition to the alcohol level when it hits the slurry. Hopefully the other yeast in the slurry will have somestength left, won't get too shockedand gets to the finish. ??Edited by: Jeff H

I've been doing some reading of the ScottLab Fermentation Handbook. It would seem that I should do the following to restart the fermentation:

1) Add an appropriateamount of yeastnutrient to the stuck port,
2) Take 5% of the port and equal amount of water and add together into a clean and sterilized primary (possibly carboy),
3) Add the yeast slurry (from the other kit) to the mixture from step 2, wait 20 - 30 minutes,
4) Add 10% of the port to the mixture, wait 20 - 30 minutes,
5) Add 20% of the port to the mixture, wait 20 - 30 minutes,
6) Repeat step 5 until all the port has been added.

I have a yeast nutrient from Carlson, I thought I could use. Total time would be about 3 hours to complete the work.

Does this sound right? Or should I just leave it alone as suggested by Wade? I appreciate your comments, thanks. Jeff

I e-mailed WineExpert Customer Service today regarding this fermentation. Linda K.recommended that I rack the other wine kitfrom the primary and thandump the port onto the sediment left behind in the primary. She said give it a good stir, keep it warmand all will be fine. Seems alot easier than what I came up with...hmmm. Simple is better.
smiley32.gif

I received another e-mail from Linda at WineExpert yesterday. She reaffirmed thatdumping the Port onto the sediment from the other kit wouldfinish the fermentation without unwanted side effects. Either way she reminded me that they have a 100% satisfaction guarantee and they would replace the kit if it didn't turn out well. I'm glad to see that they stand behindtheir product!
smiley32.gif

I've done this kit a number of times, and *always* it has been a very slow fermentor and seems to stall. It also has always turned out very nice. This is the only WE kit that I still consider doing. Next to the Mosti port, this is my second favorite.

I've heard many others have much more success by doing what Linda suggested. I think the next time I do this port, I'll do the same.

Dean,

I had wanted to do the Mosti Port next but I got angreat deal on this kit that I couldn't pass up. LHBS brought it in for someone else and got stuck (not to pun) with it when the person declined to buy it for some reason. I happened to be in the store at the time and I got it at cost.

Even atit'scurrent state (age)it has a very nice taste and shows great potential. I'm looking forward to it finishing fermentation and getting the product WE intended.

JeffEdited by: Jeff H

I went for the MM La Bodega and must say that I had no problem, unlike the raspberry Choc. Port which stalled just like yours. Anyone have any problems with the RJS Ports as thats what I have coming up next, should i be prepared for another stall?

Nope, RJS ports just ferment to finish. No issues ever with any of their ports.

WE has had a problem with the special kits completing fermentation. They say it is a volume issue so they will be replacing the 7 liter kits with 12 liter kits. No water to add. If you have any issues getting it replaced, just let me know. It does not matter where you purchased it, I can get it replaced.

I had read about volume and temperature issues and was extremely careful to add just the right amount of water and kept the temps in the right zone. Ithink the yeast just couldn't handle the addition of the corn sugar in their stationary phase.This kit also produced agood amount of CO2 and I have no clue what was left regarding nutrients.So you add up all of these variables as well as the alcohol and the yeasties just couldn't keep up.

I have hope that the kit will complete fermentationwith the procedure Linda recommended and not have any problems. I appreciate the offer of assistance, if need be. As usual great customer service. Thanks!

The yeast they use on all their kits is basically the same or is the same that most or all wine kits use which is Lalvin 1118 and thats a hard yeast to stop but W.E. has figured a way to stop it apparently with a few of their kits and took them long enough to fix this issue. Glad they finally fixed it or have they yet? Are the new kits the 1's with a different volume?

A quick update...I did as suggested. The port was left on the sediment for 7 days. At that time the airlock was showing little fermentation activity. Tested sg, it was 1.018, down just 0.04 from earlier. The port is back in a carboy with no active fermentation (airlock) activity. I did re-checkthe calibration of my hydrometer, it's right on. So I guess this is probably where this port will end at. I'm going to let it rest for a week and re-check sg, if it's the same I'm going onto the stabilization and f-pack additions. If it dropped at all, I'll give it some more time but I do doubt it will change much. Taste seemed alright, no off odors.

It's funny, fermentation started around 2 hours after I dumped the port onto the other kits sediment. The airlock was releasing co2 at a steady 25 second rate for 7 full days and then it slowed toa stop. I figured at this ratethe yeast would have consumed much of the remaining sugar and the sgwoukd have been much lower than where it got to. The sg reading really surprised me.

I don't see any reason to consider a replacement kit. I'm going to let it bulk age in a carboy for at least a few more months before bottling (maybe more). I'm sure it will be fine. At this sg the abv is 16.3% which is ok. I could fortify it if I get the urge for something with a little more kick, lol.

Lots of people had this problem with this or similar high abv kits from W.E. My Raspberry Choc. stopped just around where yours is and it tastes great even with the F-pack added afterwards.

I've made the WE Port...it really wasn't all that OR the bag of chips. It was "ok".

next time around, I'll either make one from scratch, try a mosti mondale high end port kit, or.........just buy some port!

Last night I added sorbate, k-meta, chitosan and the f-pack. I also de-gassed with my vacuum pump. Damn gassy kit even after the extra racks and 52 days. I took about 1 1/2 cups out for the f-pack etc. (before I did all the stirring). It tasted ok and it did not go to waste
smiley17.gif
. I'm gonna let it age for awhile in the carboy.I not ready to say this isn't a kit I would do again but my next port kit will be the Mosti.

Latest posts

Back