Popping My Corks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lew

Reaction score
Howdy all, been awhile, Wife and I made some wine mixing apple and grape juice. When it was ready to bottle we stabilized it, let it set for several days, then backed sweetened, let it set for 4 days saw no signs of refermentation then bottled it. Has been bottled for 3 months, then it happened, we popped 3 corks. Never had this happen before, and it tastes great like sparkly wine. Place my finger over the top and shake the bottle it will fizz just like soda pop. My question is, what should I do? unbottle it and place back in a carboy and restabilize, and what is a safe way to unbottle it?

Thanks All
Lew

That is what I would recomend.

No doubt that this wine is now having a lot of sedament in the bottle. I would empty in a carboy, re-stabalize and then re-backsweeten.

I'd do just as John says above. Only other thing, think I would put em in the refrigerator and cool them off before I started shaking them up pulling corks. Arne.

Curious about how you stabilized it?

It could be gassy, could be spontaneous mallo-lactic fermentation if inadequately stabilized.

I doubt it's due to not degassing. That would be fizzy but should not pop corks. Pressure must be building up.

No question about it, it is refermenting
How old was your sorbates?

Thanks for the posts, my sorbates are a 3 years old, I will replace them, Then I will place the bottled wine in the frig. cool it down, uncork it, place it back in my carboy and stabilize it, then see what happens, and hope it tastes as good as it does now. Thanks All!

Last edited:
You will probably have to let it finish out again. Then clear, then stabalize. Your abv will be higher but when it finishes you will have to do the stabalizing again. From experience, don't try and stop the ferment or you will probably have the corks pushing out again. Good luck with it, Arne.

Is it possible that the problem is located in individual bottles? Is it possible that if we inaquately sanitize some bottles there could be some kind of bacterial activity?

Your sorbates has expired, it has a one year shelve life.

Latest posts

Back