Pomace encrusted cheese!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jburtner

Reaction score
I did some with unfermented sweet must and some with pressed pomace. Vacuum sealed and put away for a month or two in the fridge. To be enjoyed at a later date with crackers, other goodies, and…. Wine!

Next up a jar or two of pomace jam!

F365984F-2AB0-40C7-B0F3-B1AE5458977B.jpeg
136209AF-6FD4-462D-98B2-5E4249F269D6.jpeg
B19944E3-C0A3-43EA-8E2A-CC47B148F454.jpeg

I made blueberry jam with pomace. I have to say the jam was far better than the blueberry Dragon Blood. (Dragon Blood is too thin for me no matter what - I'll just make regular fruit wine). I also cooked up the fig pomace for a butter like spread. The family likes the fig spread but I prefer the figs canned in syrup.

In the early days of the pandemic I was able to make a Merlot bread with leftover yeast. I tried again with a batch of Cab Sav with no success.

Good idea! I’ve got some fig I’ve macerated into a brandy for a “fig-cello” kind of thing. Maybe I can do a couple jams.

Any recommendations on an easy way to process and remove pomace seeds for a few cups of pomace?

cheers,
Johann

My fig seeds seem to have vanished or were caught in the mesh bag. My fig sauce/butter is not seedy. I used a bag for the figs during fermentation.

I made a few jars of pomace jam. Added in a few figs, blueberries, a bunch of de-seeded pomace, a shot of fig brandy, and cooked it all down with a nice tempranillo/ cab sav spanish reserva - added pectin, a little lemon juice, and minimal sugar - wow! This stuff is great with some cheese and meats! Infused one jar with fresh rosemary sprigs and a second with oregano cuttings.
I’ve got some pomace stored in the freezer to make more because this will not last till next
Year.

Add both Flavor and Color While also Protecting Your Homemade Cheese

Are you making cheese at home or know someone who does? Then try adding the rich flavor of the grape skins to your homemade cheese by covering your cheese tomme in grape must pomace. This method is very old and used in both France and Italy. In France, the most popular variety is called Tomme au Marc. This cheese is covered in grape must pomace and tightly sealed. After two months of aging, the cheese is removed and dried. The result is a beautiful cheese covered in grape skins and seeds that has the rich complex flavors found only in wine grapes. ( Efficient Home Winemaking: Don’t let Your Leftover Grape Skins go to Waste! — Wine Grapes Direct ) Also Researchers are also exploring pomace's properties as a food preservative — studies have shown that compounds called polyphenols found in grapes and in pomace kill bacteria that can cause food to spoil.

I wish I knew how to bulk process and remove the grape seeds in the pomace - At the moment it's by hand and not too much of an issue to do a cup or so while cooking up the jam.

Cheese making is the next hobby but for now I just use different store bought cheeses :)

Some de-seeded pomace and jam as part of a melted brie or camenbert plate is pretty special!

Cheers,
johann

Latest posts

Back