polycarbonate hydrometer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
anyone got experience with these polycarbonate hydrometers , i buy glass hydrometers 5 at a time, being insomniatic at times, i end up in my wine room at some very odd hours, odd enough the county law had to make sure i was not a meth cook, lol. but anyway i broke another one at the neck sitting it down, only way i knew i bumped it was when i went to sanitize it, the neck lifted freely ,,, leaving me with two hydrometers, which is when i reorder, now mind you i am slightly unstable with right below the knee amputated, and 1/3 of left foot amputated as well.
Dawg

My triple scales are the standard glass and I don't seem to have a problem with them. The problem I had in the past was with a finish hydrometer. I broke 3 of them before buying a Herculometer. It's range is 1.020 to .980. The bulb is glass but the stem is plastic. Even though the scale is way easier to determine it is always close the glass triple scales.

But given the principle that hydrometers use to measure density does anyone know why they cannot be made of stainless steel and/or be 6 inches long - even if you have to buy a set of three to measure from 1.120 to 1.070; from 1.075 to 1.025 and from 1.030 to .985? Why glass and why so long?

But given the principle that hydrometers use to measure density does anyone know why they cannot be made of stainless steel and/or be 6 inches long - even if you have to buy a set of three to measure from 1.120 to 1.070; from 1.075 to 1.025 and from 1.030 to .985? Why glass and why so long?

Funny enough: you are interested in SS, because it won't shatter. Instead it will bend. That is actually a problem in a hydrometer.

The material is very dense, so you would have to make it large in diameter and/or thin in order to get the correct "average density." So what happens if you dent it? The volume of the hydrometer will change, so the reading will be off.

Back