plum port recipe needed

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunt

Reaction score
I have been looking at this 6 pound bag of fresh red plums sitting in my kitchen and decided I wanted to attempt a port wine with it. Just a single gallon for now but I can't for the life of me find a recipe. I have heard that ports are fortified with spirits but all the recipes have found so far don't call for any. Does anyone have a recipe they are willing to share?

You could do worse than starting by reading this thread: http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f137/any-experienced-port-makers-42453/

Lots of quasi-recipes and good info in there.

I think you should try to discern whether you plan to ferment to dry, then add a fortifier and a sweetener, or if you intend to interrupt fermentation by fortifying before it goes dry.

If you intend to take the latter approach, there is a long discussion of it here: http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f137/whole-grape-port-44373/
In page 3 or four of that thread, I provide a spreadsheet for calculating when to add the fortifier, depending on your goals for final sweetness and ABV.

6 pounds not enough, that is enough for a regular good wine, not a port style, get more plums, maybe some other red ones or some really sweet yellow ones, also find some elderberries, dried is good, pick a good yeast like premier cuvee, start off at 1.100, when it gets to 1.01 raise it up to 1.02, repreat as many times as the yeast will eat the extra sugar, you can do all of this in a bucket, strain out your plums and put in a carboy and add some oak. A nice rich plum is very good but can have a lot of acid, when its done then you can decide how sweet you want it to be to balance the acids, alcohol and oak. Try pure plum juice is best, otherwise you are just making plum wine. WVMJ

Latest posts

Back