Plum Nectarine Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timber

Reaction score
Got some free plums and nectarines so I made up a 1 gal batch which is in the Primary now. My wife doesn't like the Dry Red wines that I prefer so I thought I'd make up some Sweet Plum/ Nectarine to see if she likes it.

I was going off one of Jack Keller's recipes for Sweet Plum wine but messed up and put all 3-1/2 lbs of sugar in from the start (S.G. 1.118) instead of half first then adding more every other rack.

I guess I'll just have to let it run it's course, max out ABV and let the Champaign yeast die and see where I am with sweetness. (Although ABV will be higher than my original goal). Any suggestions? (High ABV is never a problem for me but I think my wife prefers something closer to 12.5%)

Thanks,

Dave

2014_Plum_Nectarine_Sweet.jpg

Last edited:
finish your fermentation, perform proper number of racks for clearing and aging then taste wine. perform bench trials with sugar syrup to reach level of sweetness desired. add potassium sorbate after adding sugar to inhibit re-fermentation.

finish your fermentation, perform proper number of racks for clearing and aging then taste wine. perform bench trials with sugar syrup to reach level of sweetness desired. add potassium sorbate after adding sugar to inhibit re-fermentation.

Thanks for the reply, I will do as you suggest.

timber

Or add more fruit and water now. Making an extra half galleon or so. That will drop the starting sg down to a abv the wife will like.
Then stabalize and backsweeten as allready recamended.

Sent from my iPod touch using Wine Making

Hi Jen,
I'll check the S.G. and taste first but what you suggest should do the trick.

Thanks,
timber

Back