Plum coming along Nicely

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding: "not all plums are prunes." Ummm, yes. The plums that have not yet been dried are not, of course, prunes. Those are the sweet, juicy ones you find on your grocer's fresh-fruit shelf.
Okaaaay, then. Women in the US aged 25 to 54 have spoken!

Don’t forget, prunes have pits, dried plums don’t ...........

The plum wine is coming along nicely. I'm short on Carboys so I'm going to check this plum out and see if it's worthy of bottling now and let it finish aging in bottles. I always advocate strongly for bulk aging but this wine has cleared faster than anything I've made so far and the taste was excellent the last time I racked it. Just a few more weeks until next racking... might consider breaking my policy on this one.
I'd go for it and bottle mate. Make some space so you can make more wine! Out of interest how long do you aim to bulk age? I only have a few small carboys I use for fruit wines so most of mine are bottled a a month or so after clearing fully but I get a little sediment fall in the bottle.
I'm thinking about doing the same with my strawberry it's fallen clear after only a week or so since first racking from secondary which is crazy. I picked some beautiful ripe mulberries and want to get that happening. Then plum. I tried the little plums on some trees near my area and they were hard and bitter as hell so gonna see how they are in a couple of weeks.

Yup, Go for it. Yeast is cheap.

Don't ya hate those head slapper moments. )

Well my attempt at plum (prune) wine really took off. I used way too much fruit, stuff tripled in size overnight. Luckily primary was large enough to contain the fruit as they rehydrated. I’m thinking this may explain why my hydrometer reading was higher then anticipated. Removed some of the fruit and the fermenter looked like a huge lava lamp (I use all glass). This morning fermentation isn’t as violent, thinking of racking into secondary in a few more days. My question is should I go ahead with the recipe I’m following and add acid blend, tannin, and pectic enzyme during the rack or just let it continue as is? If nothing else I did answer the question “can you ferment dried fruit treated with potassium sorbate?”, yes you can. Original recipe called for 3-4 lbs fresh fruit per gallon, 1lbs dried might just equal that.

731E23CA-DDC8-45A0-915D-7550C4D9F351.jpeg
Yup, Go for it. Yeast is cheap.

Don't ya hate those head slapper moments.

I really try to avoid having them when I'm out Cutting trees.
(Hurts too much.)
Hey Scooter I could use a bit more advise here. Been racking and watching, this morning I took a sample out. Looks pretty clear, bronze color. Not strong on plum (or prune) flavor, a tad heavy on alcohol and seems to be missing something. I never added any acid blend as the recipe I was using as a guide called for. Is it too late to add now? I saw another recipe that called for lemon juice that work? What’s your idea? Thanks

Take a small sample, an ounce or two and add in some sugar, very small additions, 1/16 tsp, stir well, let it set for a few minutes stir once more and taste it - see how that changes taste. Don't see any reference to your pH or target/end ABV. That should tell you something, that or the TA. Some folks prefer TA to pH readings. For my wine making I try to sample if anything is 'off' in the numbers before making big adjustments.
New wines are going to have a lot of bite and if the alcohol level is relatively high you may have problem tasting the plum.

Latest posts

Back