Please tell me it's going to be ok...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaniJ323

Reaction score
So it's my first kit... VR Piesporter; and I am scheduled to bottle it this weekend.

I just checked on the airlock and it had slimy mildew on the inside of it!! YUCK!!

Should I assume it's ruined or maybe...is there a chance that the icky slim didn't infect the wine? Am I hoping for too much?

Not yet, but i will....

Ok, it smelled and tasted fine...a bit green, but fine.

If the slime was on the "outside" of the airlock - the side that vents out... I dont think i would worry too much..

If it was on the inside, i would probably run an SO2 test, just to see if the wine is capable of putting out enough gas to protect itself..

I'm sure someone with more experience will correct me if im wrong, but if it smells and tastes fine, i wouldnt worry too much about it and would speculate that your wine is just fine

shew... I hope your right. It was in the chamber that holds the water, not the tube that runs down the center; a direct path to the wine itself.

U say U R "scheduled" to bottly this weekend.. When did you start?
It dont hurt in fact helps to add a week or 2 or 3 B-4 bottling.

Actually yes, I did give it an extra week and a half past the 10 day instructions to clear. It's a white and seemed like it wasn't clear enough (for me at least) at the ten day mark so i let it go a bit longer.

Latest posts

Back