Please review and suggest on this

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alstang1

Junior
Reaction score
I made this wine for my first ever attempt at making wine, and lots of my friends loved it. I sweetened it up a bit before botteling, and it seemed fine, but now, 2 months later, when drinking, I have an acidic after taste.

Please review this recipe, and make suggestions as to what I should add to this to make it taste the same 1 week or 3 months after botteling. Also, any other additives that you suggest will be appreciated. I have already bought clarifier for it.

Note: I used this exact recipe with 8 cups sugar, and made a full 5 gallons of wine. I am going to do the initial mix on this recipe tonight and will get the S/G after mix to see where I stand.
21 days 21 days prep
<DIV style="DIRECTION: ltr">
<TABLE style="BORDER-RIGHT: #a3a3a3 0pt solid; BORDER-TOP: #a3a3a3 0pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #a3a3a3 0pt solid; DIRECTION: ltr; BORDER-BOTTOM: #a3a3a3 0pt solid; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0 valign="top">
<T>
<TR>
<TD style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 4pt; PADDING-LEFT: 4pt; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 0pt; BORDER-BOTTOM-WIDTH: 0pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 4pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; WIDTH: 0.704in; PADDING-TOP: 4pt; BORDER-RIGHT-WIDTH: 0pt">
13 (32 </TD>
<TD style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 4pt; PADDING-LEFT: 4pt; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 0pt; BORDER-BOTTOM-WIDTH: 0pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 4pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; WIDTH: 2.447in; PADDING-TOP: 4pt; BORDER-RIGHT-WIDTH: 0pt">
ounce) bottles grape juice </TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 4pt; PADDING-LEFT: 4pt; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 0pt; BORDER-BOTTOM-WIDTH: 0pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 4pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; WIDTH: 0.704in; PADDING-TOP: 4pt; BORDER-RIGHT-WIDTH: 0pt">
1 1/2 </TD>
<TD style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 4pt; PADDING-LEFT: 4pt; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 0pt; BORDER-BOTTOM-WIDTH: 0pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 4pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; WIDTH: 2.447in; PADDING-TOP: 4pt; BORDER-RIGHT-WIDTH: 0pt">
gallons filtered water </TD></TR>
<TR>
7 1/2 </TD>
cups sugar </TD></TR>
<TR>
1 </TD>
package yeast </TD></TR></T></TABLE>
Not the one? See other Easy homemade wine Recipes

1. <LI style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; COLOR: black" value=1>Pour grape juice into 5-gallon container. </LI>
    <LI style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; COLOR: black" value=2>Bring water and sugar to a boil until sugar is melted. </LI>
    <LI style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; COLOR: black" value=3>Let cool. </LI>
    <LI style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; COLOR: black" value=4>Pour into container. </LI>
    <LI style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; COLOR: black" value=5>Add 1 pkg yeast (activating beforehand is optional). </LI>
    <LI style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; COLOR: black" value=6>Close with airlock stopper. </LI>
    <LI style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; COLOR: black" value=7>Allow to ferment for 3 weeks in a sanitized 5-gallon container. </LI>
    <LI style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; COLOR: black" value=8>After 1 additional week, bottle. </LI>

I see no mention of nutrient or energizer in this recipe, probably be al right but better safe then sorry as some batches stress the yeast from not enough nutrients and give off an off smell or flavor. What was the SG last time? If you dont know, please keep records so as that we and you can see what can be changed.

Edited by: wade

I would say after reviewing the recipe you are lucky the bottles didn't blow the corks. I don't see any mention of k-meta or sorbate. If you sweetened before bottling, it tasted how you wanted it. However without adding any k-meta and sorbate, it was not conditioned and fermented out the added sugar. That way it was sweet at bottling, but now it is dry and has lost it's sweetness. I would suggest you discontinue making this recipe and use ones listed on the Fine Vine Wines site. They will list the correct additives needed to keep it safe and tasting good.

I hope I don't come off as being unfriendly. All I am trying to do is get to the root of you problem with the taste, and I believe this is likely it.

I did not know about SG when I made my last batch :).

I have a whole host of additives that George suggested I keep on hand. No idea what each of them is for, but I will list them when I get back from store with the ingredients I need to buy.

Al

I can order one from George if I need one. Not sure what all I need a.t.m. I am sure I will be making another order this week from George.

What I have on hand now is the following:

Super Kleer KC - 2 packs

Potassium Sorbate - 2 oz

Pectic Enzyme - 1 oz

Yeast Nutrient - 2 oz

LD Carlson Acid Blend - 2 oz

Campden Tablets - 100 tab

Wine Tannin - 1 oz

Lalvin 71B - 1122 Yeast

What else, other than Acid test kit should I add, if I plan on making a batch per month?
ALSO:&gt; Does it matter if frozen concentrate is substituted with actual 100% grape juice with only acid added? No artificial flavor or coloring in the one I was looking at.
AlEdited by: Alstang1

Check the ingredient list on the grape juice. If it contains potassium sorbate then you cannot use it, as this is used to inhibit the reproduction of the yeast. The don't put sorbate in the frozen concentrate because it is, um, frozen.

1116 is a yeast with a low nitrogen requirement. since you're not going straight from grapes, you may be able to eliminate yeast supplementation (enzyme, DAP, etc). but you'll definitely want to add KMBS...around 30 ppm before you bottle.Edited by: gc605

gc605 said:
1116 is a yeast with a low nitrogen requirement. since you're not going straight from grapes, you may be able to eliminate yeast supplementation (enzyme, DAP, etc). but you'll definitely want to add KMBS...around 30 ppm before you bottle.

For you folks that are a bit new to the hobby:
KMBS= potasium meta-bisulfite= k-meta= campden tablets(pill form)
DAP=di-ammonium phospate= yeast nutrient

PeterZ said:
Check the ingredient list on the grape juice. If it contains potassium sorbate then you cannot use it, as this is used to inhibit the reproduction of the yeast. The don't put sorbate in the frozen concentrate because it is, um, frozen.

No where on the lable do I see Potassium Sorbate, but it does say "Pasturized". Is that ok?

Also, thanks Apple. I was going to look up a definition list.

Al

Just pasteurized is OK. It may even have ascorbic acid in it -that's OK too. A lot of folks use these juices, with varying sucesses. Have fun with it.

Ok trying to post from my blackberry. Hope it works.

Next question is SG. Initial reading was 1.086ish. Should I leave it or shoot for1.1ish? I have 5 gal batch waiting on yeast.
Thanks
Al

Back