Please Help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barney

Reaction score
Ok, I started a Green Apple Riesling kit a couple of weeks ago and I am very concerned that something is wrong.
Step one was to ferment in primary and that looked like it went well. Lots of activity.

Step two was to rack in to secondary. Being new to this and rushed at the time, I forgot to take a SG reading at this time, but I did wait the recommended six days in the primary. My wine has been in the secondary for almost a week now and I have not seen any "activity" of any kind. No bubbles and no "gurgle" from the airlock.

Have I messed this up? Please advise.

Thanks!

Don't panic Barney, chances are good that things are fine. Take a SG reading now and see if it is at or below 1.000. If it is, it probably was a quick ferment and is almost done so produces little gas. Also what was the temperature of the room you had it in the primary. If it was on the warm side the ferment would have progressed rapidly.

Appleman,
Thanks. I will take a reading this evening. The primary was in a closet that is around 72 - 75 degrees.

Barney,

Temp is perfect, and the IM type kits contain less sugar than a normal wine and ferment to lower alcohol levels. My guess is that you did 95+% of your fermentation in the primary. No reason to panic at this point.

BTW - Did you taste it? Did you taste any sugar?

Barney, Sounds like things just went quickly. No need to panic. And if you're not sure it's okay after you get it into bottles, just ship them off to others on the forum. We'll drink them, report back and let you know that you should start another batch!
smiley36.gif
Seriously, at those temps I think it just did it's work in a hurry.

Latest posts

Back