Please Help w/AutoSiphon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barney

Reaction score
As I am new to this hobby, I am hoping that I am doing something wrong...

My autosiphon is more of a pump than a siphon. I have to work it like a pump and this disturbs a lot of the lees when I go to rack. Is there a trick to making it work?

If I just use a hose and suck on it until the flow starts, that works great and that may be what I do anyway, but I would like to make the AS work.

Thanks.

I had this problem when I started using the auto siphon also, came to discover was due to sucking air where hose connects to the cane. Try pushing the hose further up the cane, I even resorted to taping around the hose when I first found this to be the cause. Hope this helps.

JW, thanks for the reply.
I did try tape. Maybe, I did not use enough.

Thanks.

I would also recommend holding the end of the auto siphon a good 3-4 inches above the sediment while you are getting your suction started and then ease it gently down once you have a good siphon going

Barney, I agree with Waldo. Get yourself a small spring loaded type clamp to hold the siphon up off the bottom.

You can also use a twist tie, like the ones from a loaf of bread to put around the hose to hold it better to the siphon. I have done that a couple of times and it works well for me.

I'm with JW. I think you're getting air in there somewhere. We too had to wrap the edge of the tubing with black electrical tape (masking tape won't seal). If that does not work, closely inspect the siphon for any small cracks. Since it is plastic, they can crack without much effort. The other thing is to make sure the vessel your siphoning from is much higher than the vessel your transferring too. I try to get the top of the bottom carboy lower than the bottom of the top carboy (geez, I hope that makes sense).

Good luck!

GrapeApe.

Thanks for all the help.

I am betting that the tape I used was letting air get in. I will try the twist tie or electrical tape next time.

Thanks.

Waldo said:
I would also recommend holding the end of the auto siphon a good 3-4 inches above the sediment while you are getting your suction started and then ease it gently down once you have a good siphon going
Waldo , if I may I understand the keeping the end of the siphon a few inches above the sediment, but when you ease it down low does it not pick up the sediment whenyou lower it as well. It may sound like a simple question but it popped in my head. I still have not bottled a carboy yet and I have the concords there for 7 months which I presume will be my first, unlessI get a kit to try first. I just may start a kit becasue my wife keeps asking me when I am going to put up or shut up about my wine
smiley36.gif

Better yet get 2 kits and you get a discount and an excuse to buy more equipment!
smiley36.gif

There are also squeeze clips available that will keep air from leaking in. Do you use the foot for the bottom of the auto siphon?

Trigham said:
Waldo said:
Waldo , if I may I understand the keeping the end of the siphon a few inches above the sediment, but when you ease it down low does it not pick up the sediment whenyou lower it as well. It may sound like a simple question but it popped in my head. I still have not bottled a carboy yet and I have the concords there for 7 months which I presume will be my first, unlessI get a kit to try first. I just may start a kit becasue my wife keeps asking me when I am going to put up or shut up about my wine
smiley36.gif

It all depends on the depth of the sediment Trig. If the sediment is pretty deep like it normally is at first racking I will never let the tip of the siphon down into the sediment. After first racking, the sediment is usually such that the tip of the auto siphon is designed to preventthe extraction of sediment if done properly.

Latest posts

Back