Plastic Primarys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fish1onthefly

Reaction score
I was reading the spirited plastic discussion and decided I would look for some smaller containers than the 8 galI have now...Sure enough stopped at Shipleys Donuts this morning and there in the front were icing containers washed and ready to go 2.00 each; 2 gallon or 4 gallon!

I would get some 4 gallon if you plan on making some small batches of wine. You really dont need anything smaller then that as airspace while in primary fermentation is a good thing and when you add all the fruit to a small batch of country wine it sure displaces a lot of volume.

Edited by: wade

I agree with Wade. I have a few of the 2 gallon buckets and they are a bit small for a gallon batch if you have a fruit bag in there. Now if you are using a steam juicer to juice the fruit, the 2 gallon buckets work great as there is no displacement from bulk fruit. I also try to ferment closer to a gallon and a half to make up for racking loss transferring to secondary when using the fruit bag. I do notice that using steamed juice I get a lot less lees and less waste when racking. The 2 gallon buckets are great though to clean small parts in, make up cleaners and sanitizers, etc.

I go to sams club and ryans to get the 4 gallon icing buckets from their bakery. No shiplies around here. Besides a small bottle of wine ocasionaly
pays for the buckets

Back