pineapple wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MO-WINEAUX

Reaction score
started a batch of pineapple wine. pretty close to the reciept on georges cite like the one in the little purple booklet that comes with an equioment package. gal of juice, 3 pts H2O, 1/2 tsp neutrient, 1/4 tsp tannin, sugar to sg 1.082. ran acid test and added 3/8 tsp of acid blend. added 3/32 tsp K-meta let it set for a day. pitched a slurry of Redstar montrachet. now its 4 days later and the fermintation seems slow to me, am i just in a hurry for no good reason. is this normal for a fruit wine. temp is 72*. also did not add pectic emzyne, not called for in receipt, but should I?
JC

I usually add pectic emzyne to all my fruit wines, it helps for breaking down the fruit and with clearing....just a good thing to add...
smiley4.gif

You just started it right...go ahead and add it...can't rember how much...I'm thinking 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. per gallon....

YES, 3 days with yeast. gonna' go add 1/4 tsp. some non-pineapple receipts call for 1/2 to 1 tsp for a 5 Gal batch. 1/4 tsp sounds good to me.
JC

Bert, i think i hollered before i was hurt.
checked the sg on the 5th day,it was 1.005 !
so racked it off gross lees to glass.
those sneeky little yeasties were quiet with low foam, fooled me.
thanks
JC

Well this is a fine mess i've gotten me into stanley !
This stuff finished fermenting in short order ( sg 0.990 ) but it smelled funny ( awful ). let it set a while. racked it off the lees again to new glass.
still smelled awful. not geranium smell. Super Kleered it. the 1/2 gal jug cleared overnight, the 1 gal jug still has what must be pectin haze?
they both smell awful.
anybody care to guess why it smells awful? I got no idea.
JC

my "smeller" aint the best, so i got OWHN to come down an give a critical nose. at first she said it had a slight sewer smell but that seemed to go away when we let it "breath" a while. she said it had a sweet smell but not much of a pineapple smell. maybe i'm hollerin' before i'm hurt again.
i'm an old geeser, but i'm young i wine years.
JC

There will be many different smells before its done. You were or are most likely still smelling the yeast that will still be dropping out of suspension along with wasted fruit. i would give it a week or 2 and by then you will be smelling the success of your wine along with an alcohol which will take some time to tom blend and fade away while the fruit slowly progresses as the more dominant smell.

Back