Picts of homemade filter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ulmostsober

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all. I posted some pics of making a filter the hard way on a web site. Thought they might help some who want to try.

Thanks for the help and advice,

Deano

http://www.home.bellsouth.net/personalpages/PWP-backyardbrew
20070203_221230_finished2.JPG

Nice set up, but I'll bet my gravity fed vin brite is easier to clean up than all that
smiley36.gif

You'll have to take some picks whn you use it next.

You got me there jobe... takes about 10 minutes to set up and and about 15 minutes on the clean up.
smiley19.gif
Only real time saver for me isthetwo inline filters and bottle filler.
smiley4.gif
I hadnitrogen tank and 5 micron filters already on hand. (I buy filters by the case for my well) This is probally the only reason I went this route. And my wife always claims I doeverything the hard way. I posted pictures at the link in original post of using it the second time. I'll be filtering 15 gals in about three more weeks... I'll see how it handles 3rd time around.
smiley20.gif
smiley21.gif

I'll keep you posted,

Dean

Sorry Dean, I didn't see the links on the left hand side of your web page.

Looks like a great filter when going a few batches, would it be worth doing 1 batch with it? Doesn't seem that hard to clean up, might be equivelant to any other filter. I like the idea that you can fill bottle on a counter. I fill mine in a big sink, cork them and put them back in the sink for easy cleaning of the bottles from slpilled wine.

What are the filters that you are using? How do they compare to a 2 or 3 micron filter for the mini jet? Do you have issues pushing the last few gallons of wine through those filters?

Thanks for directing me to the link. I have the availability to get all those parts due to the business I'm in for nothing (except the cart). I'll have to check that out.

Welcome ulmostsober. I was looking at your setup @ winepress. Very ingenious!

very niceDean, I like to tinker myself and its even better when it works. Very nice setup i'd be interested in the results of your next filtering.
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">Bill

Hi Jobe,
Note: Feeling kind of long winded....

You are probally hit the nail on the head about using the filter for only one batch.Right now I too green to know any better and like any kid with a new toy... I just want to play.
smiley36.gif

The filter issue was one that I had a tough time addressing.(Time for any filter gurus to chime in and help out)
smiley23.gif
Like so many beginners, I readmany posts on the pros and cons of filtration. In addition, I enlisted vendors at work to do some sidelineresearch and contacted and visited a couple winery's. The whole thing got out of hand for me and beforeI knew it I ended up with a pile of useless data (my eighth grade math only goes so far) and filter samplesthat were way out of my price range.
Looking back, I was drawn to this link for whatever reason:
http://www.weekendbrewer.com/winefilter01.htm
I contacted weekendbrewer and discussed the shop vintage filter with a couple weekend wine warriors.(Relative uses version of shop vintage filter) It was then remembered a visit to local redemption center. Pile of Cornelius kegs which were offered for 2 bucks ea. Should have bought, would have mad a mint on ebay.(They are no longer there)
smiley19.gif
This memory drew me to this link for what ever reason:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=4582
I contacted Midwest and spoke for a while with one of their 'brew masters'. His response: "Dude... you are doing it the hard way. Man... just buy yourself a mini jet and be done with it."
So I did it the hard way....

If my memory serves me correct, the mini jet #1 was 6 micon nominal, #2 1 micron nominal, and #3 were .05 micron nominal. I originally did a quick search and foundno posted data on the filtration curve of Buon Vino's supplied pads.(Should have contacted Buon Vino) Comparing 10" cartridges to above: 5 micronnominal and 1 micron nominal fell within same price range per filtration. Purtrex (GE) seamed to be the vendor choice for economical cartridges. Without anyBuon Vino data, I opted to compare apples too apples. A problem arose when matching a .05 micron nominal 10" cartridge. Midwest sales .05 nominal for I believe 2.95 ea. I ordered a couple so I couple so I could research actual part #. Filters arrived sealed in after market package, with no make, model, etc. I contacted Midwest and hit a brick wall. hmmm... Other .05 nominal 10" options were not cost efficient compared to mini jet. Off to the web and landed on E-bay.

Web photos showPURTREX PX05 (5 micron nominal $2/ea) and Pall HDC II PFY1J006J (.06 absolute E-bay $3/ea) cartridge.With a flow rate of less than a gallon a minute Pall filter curveplaces it about .045 @ 99%. Comparable absoluterun about $30/ea andnominal$10/ea. Anysuggestions or sources here would be greatly appreciated.

I also had my doubts about how it would handle last half gallon or so. But to my surprise, it left very little behind due to the design of the corny keg. After draining filter housings and corny keg... about 8 oz.and somehold out in cartridges themselves. (I will squeeze it out good next time andrecord amount) Also had to slow down and invert filter canisters, for last2 1/2bottles. Failure to do so allowed nitrogen to overcome the wine. Couple of occasional burps in last two bottles. In short, be prepared to drink a bottle. Probally another good reason to limit its use to multiple batches.

My concerns is preflush of filters. Pall rep told me flushing was not needed if cartridge was still sealed. What do you all do? Do these type of filters leave catridge floatys?

As far ascart for filter (given a person has space), try mom and pop salvage yard. Don't know your location, but down here they are a dime a dozen.

Dean

Latest posts

Back