Picking up my grapes in the morning

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first time we do this we are all clueless. I felt the same way when I started. You might see if the home brew store has a TA kit or at least a decent 10ml syringe you could buy. You may need 2 gallons of acidulated water but add one and check Brix.

The syringe has a scale but only down to 1ml on each line, nothing in between, so I will check another one.

You need something like this with decent graduations on it.

0794012.jpg

The syringe has a scale but only down to 1ml on each line, nothing in between, so I will check another one.

I use a small electronic weight scale with 0.01g sensitivity. I measure the weight instead of the volume then convert it. I found it lot more convenient than reading volumes off a pipette or syringe.

That would work also as long as your scale is accurate and trustwrthy. The OP doesn't have a scale however.

I use a small electronic weight scale with 0.01g sensitivity. I measure the weight instead of the volume then convert it. I found it lot more convenient than reading volumes off a pipette or syringe.

Ok Mike, added about 1gal and a quarter of acidulated water, SG seems to be in the ~1.093 give or take.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

That sounds much better. Have you estimated your must volume? Use the formula for volume of a cylinder and take measurements of your Brute and must height.

That sounds much better. Have you estimated your must volume? Use the formula for volume of a cylinder and take measurements of your Brute and must height.

No I have not. It was close to the rim of the brute.

Still having a hard time getting a good SG reading because the Hydrometer is not freely moving or bouncing because the must is thick, trying to filter some liquid and will try again.
So far I have used one and a half gallon of acidulated water.
I was also getting a reading of 1.100

Last edited:
Varis,

I don't have a refractometer, so I feel your pain. What I do is partially submerge a fine mesh strainer into the must and scoop out the liquid inside the strainer with a measuring cup or some other large cup. I can then take that sample and pour it into a test tube and put the hydrometer in there. Obviously, there are still some solids, but very small solids and not nearly as many as if you just scooped a sample directly from the primary.

After adding 1 and 3/4 of a gallon of that water it is close to the rim.
The SG seems to be around 1.100 so I think I am going to pitch the yeast and don't mess with it more?????

hydrated 4 packets of RC212 with go ferm and pitched...let's pray to the Lord...:D

I agree with cmason. If you haven't formed a cap and are near the top, you are going to have BIG problems. Separate some juice and grapes into another container. You can blend back when you rack to secondary.

I am confused, 7 lugs should have fit easily into a 32 gallon Brute with room to spare. Can you post a pic?

Latest posts

Back