Ph test

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sodium hydroxide has the ability to combine with CO2 from the atmosphere. Your goal is to minimize the air exposure.
From a Practical point of view “are you off by 1% or 5% ? For home testing does five percent of 0.65% acid as tartaric (ie 0.04%) mean you would make a dramatic change in your winery? Probably not. I know folks in the vinters club who buy buckets, ,,, I tell them the TA is .0.37% therefore you could add NN grams and they run the bucket as is, ,,,, and they bring good finished wine to club meetings in spite of ignoring the guidelines.
The only other thing I'd add is a comment/reminder about shelf life: On Morewine it says "Sodium Hydroxide Solution - 0.1 Normal (2 year shelf life cool & closed, 3 month shelf life cool and opened)". I'm a newbie wine maker and don't go through an entire container in 3 months so I guess I'll need to replenish it.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your responses. I have decided to play it safe and replace the probe with a new one. Better to spend $60 to protect $500 worth of wine with accurate readings.

Back