pH, acid, adjusting, etc.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineforfun

Still Trying To Make The Perfect Wine and Now Tryi
Reaction score
Ok, I don't remember if I have asked this exact scenario, but here it goes.

If I have a pH reading of 3.2 and a TA reading of .72, I don't see how to correct it, according to standards.
With a lower pH like that, my understanding is to add acid to bring it up. However, that will increase an already high acid reading.
Ami I missing something?

I am about ready to go back to my "human testing equipment", my mouth, and give up on all this other stuff.

I am using a Milwaukee pH56 tester and an acid testing kit.
Tester is calibrated, although I have had some issues getting it there. Have been talking to Milwaukee for some support.

The pH scale is backwards. "Lower pH" = "more acidic"

Ok, then that would explain why my pH is on the lower end, since my acid is somewhat high, correct?
And if I understand correctly, you can't have a high pH and a high acid together or vice versa.

And I assume the way to correct it, if I wanted to, would be to add some water to bring the acid down, therefore increasing the pH?

While pH and TA are intertwined they don't always hold hands and work together. You can have a high pH wine with low acid, then add some tartaric acid to hopefully bring both values more inline but end up with TA spot on but pH not budging much due to buffering agents in the must.

Water would work but you have to be careful that you don't add so much that you get your numbers textbook perfect but now your wine has no flavor due to dilution by water.

And if I understand correctly, you can't have a high pH and a high acid together or vice versa. And I assume the way to correct it, if I wanted to, would be to add some water to bring the acid down, therefore increasing the pH?

While pH and TA are intertwined they don't always hold hands and work together. You can have a high pH wine with low acid, then add some tartaric acid to hopefully bring both values more inline but end up with TA spot on but pH not budging much due to buffering agents in the must.

Water would work but you have to be careful that you don't add so much that you get your numbers textbook perfect but now your wine has no flavor due to dilution by water.

Thanks for the input.
I think I will leave well enough alone as I don't want to dilute the must with water and my numbers aren't that far out of whack.
It is a strawberry wine, fermenting as we speak. Down to 1.045 last night, so will let it run dry and then see how it tastes and go from there.

Did you test the ph while fermenting or before hand?
And what kind of issue did you have with your ph56?

Latest posts

Back