WineXpert Petite Syrah / Zinfandel Limited Edition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the same happen to me only my gravity was low (1.090). When I posted what had happened I got the same response to stir, stir, stir.
You can stir (not whip) very gently after pitching yeast. I would let it ferment for the 7-10 days and take a gravity reading. If high you can stir the yeast gently. I always try to keep fermenting temp. around 75 for fast and complete fermentation.

you don't have to stir gently at this point.....you can beat the hell out of it right now as not only will it ensure everything is mixed properly, but right now as it is just starting fermentation, the extra o2 will help the yeasty beasties out.....they need that o2 to do their thing properly....

Well...beat, beat, beat is what I did - for almost ten minutes. MY SG didn't really change for the Sirah/Zin kit. However, I also started a Viognier kit at the same time as the Sirah/Zin and had the same issue. Beating it for a few minutes brought the SG inline with the instructions. Now it's just wait and see.

Adam

Popped a bottle from this batch. Yes I know it is waaaayyyyy too young but wanted to try it just as part of this whole "winemaking" experiment I have going on. Anyways...like I said its way too young and really not that great. But then the bottle was left on the table. Three days later it is tasting great. Weird. All part of the experiment!

One of the joys for me in making my own wine IS being able to taste it all along the way. It is fascinating to see how it can be bland one time, fabulous the next and everywhere in between.
Of course, there is the danger that one will have just a few bottles left when it gets to the fabulous state but...

Latest posts

Back