PET bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Famineguy

Reaction score
Few years back I was at my in law's house and had some wine with their neighbor, an Italian fellow. He made his own wine and bottled some of it into 1/2 liter PET bottles. He explained that it was the "right" size for them having a glass of wine with their dinner. Does anyone on here use these bottles? Any advice or thoughts?

Cheers,
Brian

What I meant is, does anyone use the PET (plastic) bottles for wine at all. Not necessarily the 1/2 liter size. I am wondering about the pros / cons.

Cheers,
Brian

I am surprised that no one has responded / or has used these. Are they used for beer only?

The alcohol in the wine MIGHT leach all kinds of chemicals from the pet bottles into the wine.
I say might as there is little real reseacrch on this.

However pet-bottles are not 100% airtight. They are permeable (I think thats the right word).
So in the long run your wine mkight oxydise.

Next, and this is from my own experience, you will NOT get the cap airtight when is has
been opened already.

The other side of the medal is that in france cheap wines are bottled in pet-bottles.

http://www.wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2008/07/vakantie-in-frankrijk-2008-holliday-in.html

So if it is for short time storage it will be ok, but not for the long run.

Luc

Thanks Runningwolf and Luc. I guess, I need to look into this more before deciding whether to try a case. I see that my wine supply store does carry them. The next time that I am out that way, I will try to get some information from them. I see reference on this board to "better bottle" carboys. Are these not PET as well.

Luc. I have no experience with the screw caps. I will check this out at the wine store as well.

Cheers,
Brian

Luc. I have no experience with the screw caps. I will check this out at the wine store as well.

Brian

\Brian,

I am not talking about the screw caps you will find in the winemaking store as they are made for glass bottles.
I am talking about re-using pet bottles with screwcaps.

Luc

Seems one of the quicko type beer machine companies either sell replacement seals or replacement caps for them.

Back