persimmon Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewin' Bob

Junior
Reaction score
Has anyone made Persimmon wine?

I made some this Fall and when I racked it after it had fermented fully to dryness, it tasted rather sweet but left a very dry mouthfeel. Any suggestions?

Brewin' Bob

Welcome Brewin' Bob. I can't help you since I've not done a persimmon
wine (don't go well with lobstah'), but there are forum members from
more southerly locales who have had experience. I can think of Ms. Spain
for one.

The dry mouthfeel must be due to the high tannin content in
persimmons. If you fermented to dryness perhaps you could experiment
with sweetening to counter the tannin. Also could experiment on a small
batch by fining with gelatin which softens tannic harshness. There is also
the option to blend with a compatible, relatively bland wine. This is all I
can think of. Others will hopefully add to this thread. Good luck and let us
know if you try something!

Bill

Welcome,Brewin' Bob!
smiley1.gif

Persimmons are high in tannins,and can also be very astringent(like the feeling you get when you bit into an unripe persimmon)

I made 3 gallons in late October.I sweetened it back just a little.I am going to TRY to age this one a full year- I think the tannins will mellow with time.

Give it a few more months in the bottle-I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the difference from now until then!

I also think the gelatin fining might be worth a try!

Thanks for your thoughts. I will leave it alone for a few mor months and then try some geletin finings. It has only been 6 months since I made it so maybe it just needs more time.

I'll practice some patience

Brewin' Bob

"Time, is on our side, yes it is."

I think I'll try to find some persimmons when I'm in Texas. Or will they be out of season in May? Never had a taste! Keep us posted on the wine, Bob!

Hi PolishWineP

Sorry but hte Persimmons wont be ready until Sept. Or Oct.What part of Texas are you coming too.Anyway Welcome to Texas, Hope you have a good time here

Harry

Just thought of something, Bob.

Did you you use plenty of pectic enzyme? Persimmons are VERY high in pectin.I used double the amount called for in the dry form-1 tsp. instead of the usual 1/2 tsp. per gallon.

PWP, I'll put some persimmons in the freezer this Fall,and save you some.Next year, i'm sure there will be a reprise of "Winestock", and I'll see you get some!
smiley1.gif

Harry,

I'll be in Dallas for Winestock! Going to have a great time, I'm sure of it! I heard there just may be some dancing on tables!
smiley2.gif
Will you be there, Harry?

Back