persimmon wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i've got a new problem. the wine is clearing up slowly but surely. however, i sampled a bit of it and it tastes really sour/bitter/acidic. my flavor palette isn't all that developed so i'm having trouble being more specific than that. whadooido? what could be wrong with it and is it fixable?

Did you do a ph test? or an Acid test? also is this a dry wine or are you sweetening it?

i haven't done either test. i don't even know what i'd be looking for if i tested it. it's supposed to be a dry wine, but the fermentation got really slow and pretty much stuck. now it's got .01 sg left over

I would suggest those two tests and see where you are at. Also a dry wine can have a Harsh taste that mellows out over time. If your still having issues, id suggest you start a new thread in the beginner section as you will get more responses there. Maybe something i missed. Just make sure you give a detailed explanation of what all you have done to this point.

update!

life got hectic around April and I moved to Seattle. I left the wine in a closet at my parents house in Sacramento (in a place where the temperature stays relatively low and consistent). it's just been chillin' doin' nothing until today!

i haven't done the acidity or pH tests yet but i did a taste test and it smells terrible and the flavor is bad at first, ok in the middle very fruity and absolutely awful jaw clench at the end. i can taste some pleasant notes from the spices and residual honey sweetness underneath all of it.

i don't know if this wine is going to shape up. my plan is to possibly induce malo lactic fermentation then bottle it and age it for another year. if that doesn't work, then i'll distill it into some sherry.

p.s. i just noticed this in the glass that i used about an hour ago. good thing i didn't swallow the sip i had! am i going to die? throw it out right? i think it's active yeast, should i add a campden tablet? ok ok i'm going to the beginners threads.

photo.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back