Persimmon wine variations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Persimmons are here! Just picked up the first of the 2014 batch. The rate limiting step in my persimmon gathering this year will be freezer room.

The blended batch from 2013 persimmons is clear and is tasting pretty good.

Unfortunately we pruned back our persimmon tree too far to produce enough fruit to do anything with. The birds got most of the ripe fruits. I have high hopes for next years' harvest and wine though. I have no regrets using D47 and Jack Keller's recipe and will likely use it again with only minor modifications. I only have two bottles left from 2013 and there's a good reason for it; it was so good we rationed it. Everyone that tried it, loved it, especially the oldest stuff. I didn't think that this wine would get much better after year. In fact, I thought it would be garbage after a year but it's the best it has ever been. Next year I'm going to use real cork and bottle age the bulk of it for a year. Mine, even after six months of bulk aging, continued to very slowly ferment. It bottle conditioned in a year to nearly sparkling wine. I personally think removing the skin really helped make my persimmon wine what it is. The fruit is tannic enough without the skin IMHO.

Also, the Japanese cultivar "Hachiya," what I have, will likely produce a distinctly different wine than the North American variety. I don't know if anyone else wants to chime in on that.

Also, the Japanese cultivar "Hachiya," what I have, will likely produce a distinctly different wine than the North American variety. I don't know if anyone else wants to chime in on that.

I'm sure that this is the case. I just dumped my last 8 gallons of (native) persimmon wine down the drain. It has proven very difficult, for me anyway, to get a drinkable wine from this fruit unfortunately.

It is nearly impossible to separate skins with the native persimmon, particularly after they are frozen. After seeing a recipe for elderberry wine that used persimmon juice made from cooking (boiling) the persimmons, I thought I'd try that next.

Stressbaby,

I ended up not picking persimmons this year, but I did bottle last years a week or so ago. When spring comes, I would like to ship you a bottle of mine, let me know what you think..... I love the taste of this stuff. I would like to see if mine tastes just like yours and you are just not fond of it, or if there is a distinct difference.

-karl

Back