Peptic Enzymes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnthonySoCo

Junior
Reaction score
I’ve never added peptic enzymes to the must before primary fermentation, but I’m considering giving it a try. I have about 15 gallons of frozen Zinfandel must from the Russian River Valley in Sonoma County. I wanted to see who has made wine with and without it and if you noticed any benefits one way or the other. Also are there any varietals that peptic enzymes work better on than others?

I’ve never added peptic enzymes to the must before primary fermentation, but I’m considering giving it a try. I have about 15 gallons of frozen Zinfandel must from the Russian River Valley in Sonoma County. I wanted to see who has made wine with and without it and if you noticed any benefits one way or the other. Also are there any varietals that peptic enzymes work better on than others?
Typically you dont need it with grapes, but it wont cause any harm to add it.

Firstly, it’s pectic, not peptic, and yes, many folks use them on grape wines. Enzymes will help break down cell walls, skins, pulp, etc., allowing for better extraction of color, tannins, and body. Freezing helps as well, and since your grapes are frozen, you have a good start. Make sure to follow instructions on application rates if you use Lallzyme EX-V, as over application can cause excessive breakdown.

Thanks for the replies. If doing a cold soak or using frozen fruit I know it’s not necessary, but is it worth it? What effects does it have on flavor? Does skin thickness of the fruit matter, like a pinot vs zinfandel?

Thanks for the replies. If doing a cold soak or using frozen fruit I know it’s not necessary, but is it worth it? What effects does it have on flavor? Does skin thickness of the fruit matter, like a pinot vs zinfandel?

Maybe this is easier to understand, from the MoreWine website:

"Specially formulated enzyme preparation for improved color intensity and stability, greater mouthfeel, and enhanced fruity, floral, spicy flavors in wine. Used primarily in red wines for the aforementioned reasons, it can also be used in white wines for increased extraction (however we recommend Lallzyme C-Max for whites because it helps the solids settle out as well).

Based on the activity of a blend of cellulases, hemicellulases, and pectinases, this preparation aids in the extraction, then stabilization of water soluble phenols found in cells of grape skins. A dry, granular product requiring no special storage conditions prior to use. We have used this enzyme on our wine here at MoreWine and found the difference to be nothing short of amazing. Currently only available at MoreWine in this size! To use dissolve Lallzyme EX into a sufficient amount of water (usual ration is 1:100) and add to must with your other additions prior to the onset of fermentation.

Dosage is 0.1g Lallzyme per gallon of must.

Store dry enzyme at room temperature, around 25 C° (77 F°). Once rehydrated use within a few hours."

Is it worth it? Well, .8 g costs $1.99, and you'd need two packs for 15 gallons, so it would cost you $3.98 (plus shipping if you order online) to add it to your process, you'll have to decide if it's worth it. I personally have used the Lallzyme enzymes and include them in every red wine from grapes that I do.

Not that I have huge experience with it, but I didn't use it last year and did this year, and I'd say based on tasting, the difference is amazing. The new wine at 2 weeks old has more flavor than last year's wine at a year old. Just based on this I will always use it from now on. Color is also much better right from the start. I used Lallzyme EX and EX-V and early in the game, could not tell a huge difference between them. But both do nice things for your wine. Anyway, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Not that I have huge experience with it, but I didn't use it last year and did this year, and I'd say based on tasting, the difference is amazing. The new wine at 2 weeks old has more flavor than last year's wine at a year old. Just based on this I will always use it from now on. Color is also much better right from the start. I used Lallzyme EX and EX-V and early in the game, could not tell a huge difference between them. But both do nice things for your wine. Anyway, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

That’s good to hear! What varietal are you using it on and did you do a cold soak prior to fermentation?

This year I used the enzymes on Syrah, Primitivo , and Petite Sirah. About 70 gallons total. The Syrah got the EX-V, all the others got EX.

Regarding a cold soak, I do wait 24 hours before pitching yeast, but otherwise nothing special. But, so far, so good. I'm very optimistic about 2018. I'm about to rack again, will be adding oak, and anticipate drinking in 2020+! The enzyme thing does many good things for your wine. Better color, better taste, better press extraction (at least with a bladder press).

I don't see a downside to enzyme use. I think the pros always use enzymes too. I'm having a bit of my 2017 Cabernet tonight, which is both too young and too fruity, and light body, which the enzymes seem to improve.

This year I used the enzymes on Syrah, Primitivo , and Petite Sirah. About 70 gallons total. The Syrah got the EX-V, all the others got EX.

Regarding a cold soak, I do wait 24 hours before pitching yeast, but otherwise nothing special. But, so far, so good. I'm very optimistic about 2018. I'm about to rack again, will be adding oak, and anticipate drinking in 2020+! The enzyme thing does many good things for your wine. Better color, better taste, better press extraction (at least with a bladder press).

I don't see a downside to enzyme use. I think the pros always use enzymes too. I'm having a bit of my 2017 Cabernet tonight, which is both too young and too fruity, and light body, which the enzymes seem to improve.

Good feedback. I’ll be trying it on a Zinfandel this year. I have about 30 gallons of Pinot that just finished MLF, so I’ll see how the Zinfandel turns out and possibly try it on next years Pinot. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back