Peptic enzyme or not?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce53

Reaction score
Many references mention peptic enzyme (sp ?) added at crush time. But others fail to mention it. What should I do with good merlot grapes at crush? Is it necessary; does it help; is there any possible problems encountered; finally, does it work? I plan to do a five-day cold soak because of pick-timing and my travel schedule. Thanks for the help. Great helpful site of a newbie or whatever...
Bruce

Pectic Enzyme is used to break down the fruit. In making Jam/Jelly, you add pectin to thicken the fruit up - Pectic Enzyme is exactly the opposite, it eats all the pectin making the fruit juice flow easier. Allows for easier extraction of flavor, acids, tannins, etc.. However, Pectic Enzyme doesnt work in the presence of a fermentation so thats why its one of the first things people do.

Basically, i use it every time.

Most grape crushings require sulfite to prevent oxidation and stop/slow bacteria onset. Add pectic enzyme 12-24 hours after sulfite, then wait 12-24 hours to add yeast.

Recommend 3-4 drops per gallon.

it eats all the pectin making the fruit juice flow easier. Allows for easier extraction of flavor, acids, tannins, etc.. However, Pectic Enzyme doesnt work in the presence of a fermentation so thats why its one of the first things people do. Most grape crushings require sulfite to prevent oxidation and stop/slow bacteria onset.

Pectic Enzyme

As I'll be making my first batch of wine from fresh grapes, I've been pulling procedural info together. I also found the recommendation to add pectic enzyme before pressing to facilitate more juice extraction. Thanks for the additional information. I'll be adding some as well.

Paul

Latest posts

Back