Pectic Haze

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

closetwine

Advanced Idiot
Reaction score
Does it affect anything other than looks? When if ever is it acceptable in a wine? :a1

Does it affect anything other than looks? When if ever is it acceptable in a wine? :a1

Good question - i sampled my strawberry when i had the pectic haze - and after it gone. They both tasted exactly the same.

So IMO it is purely a cosmetic issue. So if one is alright with it looking that way - to each their own.

Pectin haze will settle out over time. I do not believe it affects the wine other than appearance. Would like to drink a wine that looks cloudy? Probably not.

Pectin is the substance that holds the molecules together in the fruit (and other). Pectic enzyme will break down the pectin and help to release the sugars that are contained within. These enzymes have been used since the early 60's commercially.

Proper degassing and clearing of the wine will rectify the haze.

it shouldn't affect the taste at all, it will lower your points in a competition though..

you can add pectic enzyme after the wine has finished fermenting to clear it.

pectic enzyme is only ineffective in the presence of an active fermentation, it'll work fine in the presence of alcohol. so if you want to clear it now, you can.

or just drink it as it is, if you're not worried about looks.

Allie

Well, I have an apple with pectic haze that I'd like to bottle before long. It's strictly for me and family and they don't mind looks so much. With apple I think it would be ok. If this was one that would be around long, I'd prob. want to fix it but this will be gone before the holidays are over. Plus I bottle in dark brown bottles. Maybe the cloudy would just make it more rustic, or maybe I'm being lazy I dunno. But hubby shut off my funds for awhile so pectic enzyme is out...

Further info.

There are several reasons a wine will contain a haze. Particles from the grapes, microbes, proteins, tartrate, phenolic polymers, polysaccharide and metals are the root of most hazes. Sometimes by more than one too.

ML fermentation can cause particles to stay suspended as well as CO2. Most grape pieces (minute) will fallout in a few weeks.

Microbes are the yeasts and bacteria. Yeast pieces will fall quickly. Bacterial are so small that they can never fall out. If not treated with sulfite they can overcome and ruin a wine. If that be the case you may need to filter in addition to the addition of sulfite.

Sometimes proteins will "link" together becoming large enough to cloud a wine. usually seen as white clouds of stuff floating in the carboy or bottle. You usually need very warm temps for this to happen.

Potassium bitartrate is consumed by the juice but when in excess it can fallout of the wine and cloud it. Cold stabilize the wine to rid the tartrates "white diamonds".

P.polymers similar to proteins as they can cling to each other. This is usually only common in reds.Polysaccharides are very large and usually composed of pectin. Pectin is that thick stuff used to make jams and jellies. Pectic enzyme is used to break down the pectin. Filtration will not help as the pectin will clog the pads. Bentonite and sparkolloid won't work as they are positively charged as is the pectin.

Metal haze is rare anymore since most of us are using stainless steel or plastics.

Usually degassing, treating the wine with a clarifer, racking and treating with sulfite plus time should clear a wine.

WOWSteve, thanks for all the info. It was made from apple juice. I'l try the cold stabil. (didn't think of that). And if that doesn't work them I'm pretty sure it's pectin.

Apple finally got in glass tonite... (yeah I know, plastic bad) looks like it might be starting to clear... either that or I just got it out of that stupid hazy plastic!

:u Treated with pectic tonight, we'll see how it goes. At the moment it looks worse than before.:(

Latest posts

Back