pear wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joseph

Joseph
Reaction score
Just got some pears from a friends orchard 12 boxes and 4 buckets
little over 500 # just letting them get more ripe so about a week or two.
the work starts
Joseph

002.jpg

003.jpg

U got alot of work ahead of you..
Still drinking Pear from last year. Hmm.. good w/ a f-pac

I was gonna jokingly say that i'm coming to YOUR house.... But now that i seen you're in Cashmere....... Might not be much a joke ! :)

I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo jealous, just so you know..

Hell of a score, there

That's great! How do you plan on processing all those?

How do you do your pear f-pak?

U got alot of work ahead of you..
Still drinking Pear from last year. Hmm.. good w/ a f-pac

Can I ask exactly how you do your F-pak for the pear wine? I'm curious because my friend did something with hers and it just tastes off. I'm starting a pear tomorrow so I'm curious about how I would do this for when I'm done.

saintprovogirl

i just made 60 gal of pear wine it is in the sec now, after two more rackings i will add pear juioce with simple syrp use organic pear juice you can fine it in the baby food sec. also add sorbate to stop re- ferm.
best Joseph

saintprovogirl

i just made 60 gal of pear wine it is in the sec now, after two more rackings i will add pear juioce with simple syrp use organic pear juice you can fine it in the baby food sec. also add sorbate to stop re- ferm.
best Joseph

She used a juicer and extracted a small amount of pear juice to create the f-pak, and then used a simple syrup as well. Not sure where she went wrong unless it was a sanitizing issue. I will try the organic pear juice when the time comes...thank you!

Can I ask exactly how you do your F-pak for the pear wine? I'm curious because my friend did something with hers and it just tastes off. I'm starting a pear tomorrow so I'm curious about how I would do this for when I'm done.

F-pac= 20-30% of #'s used. (if used 30# then use 6-9#for f-pac)
Slice and core
put all in large pot w/ a 16oz-24oz water simmer till pears are muchy 30+ min
pour thru a kitchen strainer and add. Then add clearing agent
Wait a few weeks and rack wait a few more and rack
Then add simple syrup (backsweetening) to your taste.

Not trying to spoil the fun however..........

just letting them get more ripe so about a week or two

Why on earth did you do that ????

Fruit ripes far more better on the tree as when it is picked too early.

When picked on the top it will have gotten nutrients, water etc far more longer as it has now. So the flavor would be a lot better as it will be now.

That is the reason why I prefer picking my own fruit for winemaking. I pick it dead ripe when it is at the top of flavor, sugar and low acid.

Fruit that has been picked weeks before ripeness will never be the same quality as ripe-picked fruit.

Well whats done is done.

On to the next step.

Pear has a very subtle flavor.
So no steam juicing or watering down.

Do the same as with apples: mash them and press them and make a pure juice wine.
If you do not own a press: put them in the freezer for a few days and then press by hand (can be done easily).

Read my story on juicing without a press here:
http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2008/09/appeltje-voor-de-dorst-apple-day.html

Measure the pure juice, adjust acidity and SG and go from there.

But do yourself a favor: no watering down be it with a steam juicer or by adding water.

Luc

Latest posts

Back