Pear Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Just racked the Pear wine for the third time. The SG is at .999. It
doesnt have much pear taste, more like a chardonnay to me, but very
good. I will ferment dry then add a natural pear juice to it that I've
seen at the health food store down the road from me.

I am getting ready to make pear wine from bartlet pears I have in my orchard? Do you have any tips?

Dont be stingy with the pears. Mine has almost no flavor although I
used 18 1 lb. cans for 6 gal, Not fresh like yours, but the
peaches do not seem to flavor the wine too much.

I think some age in the bottle will enhance that pear taste wade

I sure hope so, its already got three months under its belt and its up
to my par yet. So far its the worst wine I've made yet but its stiil
pretty good. I may sweeten up when ready with my pear juice reduction
process though.

I have a friend who made pear wine about a year ago and he was so disappointed, he almost dumped it all. He's glad now he didn't. He says it's delicious now. Be patient!

Glad to hear that Joan, although I would never dump it out. You can
always use it to top up similiar wines. Like I said earlier, it tastes
like a Chardonnay right now with a very slight taste of Pear, but I
guess I can look forward to it improving.

I think your idea of adding some pear juice to sweeten should help you bring back some pear flavor and nose. Even though I like dry wines, I always sweeten my peach wine because of the same problem. The sweetness brings the peach flavor and scent back to life.

DFW, do you sweeten peach wine with peach juice? Like heavy syrup from a can????? I'm in the middle of a batch of peach, and it could use some....something?????

Kutya,

I wouldn't use the can peach juice (heavy syrup), I would get a can of the welch's white grape/peach concentrate or bottled juice to flavor with. I've made some very good peach wine from this concentrate.

Kutya,

I agree with pkcook. In fact, I would be careful adding peach juice or pear juice because you are usually sweetening near bottling and it might cloud your wine. Since I like my wines only slightly sweet, I usually just use a small quantity of sugar syrup from table sugar heated with water to sweeten the wine or, if I've got a bottle of wine conditioner handy, I might use it as it has not only sweet grape juice, but potassium sorbate already in it. By the way, I make my peach wine with a liter of white grape concentrate (Two 500 ml bottles from Wineexpert) for five gallons and sometimes substitutehoney for sugar to add some more body. If you do the latter, you can stump your friends and call it Peach Melomel.Edited by: dfwwino

Kutya,

I made some wine a while back using cherry concentrate from Michigan. I ended up adding some concentrate just before bottling to give it more of afresh cherry flavor, which it did, butcaused the wine to throw huge amounts of sediment in the bottles (only made 4L so not many bottles). I had one 1.5L bottle left and it looked so bad that when I was filtering some cranberry wine I went ahead and filtered the 1.5L and rebottled it. Two months later, it is still dusting the bottle. The wine is delish, but I guess I'll be drinking it in dim lighting
smiley22.gif
. I also had my first batch of mead go cloudy as soon as I added honey back after fermentation.

My advise is if you add juice or concentrate after fermentation, wait a while and see if it is going to produce any sediment.

Latest posts

Back