Peak date?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A62Rambler

Reaction score
Okay so some of the kits I bought have recommended aging. I'm sure a little more is a good thing as well. Here's my question though. I understand that wines peak at a general time for instance 2 years. What happens then? Do they begin to get worseafter they peakor do they just hold at the peak? Is it just the risk that they may go to vinegar? Does this mean I should consume them all shortly after they peak? It would be tough but if I must drink more... I guess I can make the sacrifice.
smiley2.gif
Pardon my lack of understanding about wine. I've never been concerned buying a bottle or two. They don't ever get a chance to go bad before I drink them. Now 25 to 30 bottles might hang around for a bit. Edited by: A62Rambler

There are many factors in a wine peaking, mostly consisting of storage.
If you have a nice consistant temp area like a basement that is
subterean it will stay a pretty consistant temp that is cool and the
fewer times you get temp changes, the fewer times your wine is expandidn

g and contracting and breathing in air through th cork whichwill make a
wine lose its peak much faster. Another factor is the quality of the
cork you are using and the light exposure that the wine is subjected to
while storing also. That all being said, there are a few others like
the type of wine as wine with more tannins will age much better than a
weak wine.

I was reading this earlier, thinking of the few bottles I have down in the basement:

In general, red wines will benefit more from bottle aging that white wines. Red wines contain a higher concentration of tannins which require some aging to soften into a less bitter component. As well, an oaked wine will benefit more from aging than a non-oaked wine.

Wines made from concentrates will show definate improvement with a month to two in the bottle, while the wines made from juices will peak at 12 to 16 months.Only you can judge when they are perfect for consumption.
You are your own connoisseur in so much as only you know when it tastes best to you.
Also a cool site to see some aging recommendations , applies to commercial, but can be kind of applied to us:
http://www.wineaging.com/index.html

As a general rule, the more juice you get in a wine kit the longer it needs to age and reds take longer than whites, as JW pointed out.

The low end kits like, Vintners Reserve and Through the Grapevine need 3 months and will last for 2 years. The higher end kits need at least 9 months but will keep for 5 years (longer, if stored optimally).

Thanks to all. I started with the better kits so I should have more time. Of course, I also have more aging time to wait. Patience has never been my forte.
smiley9.gif
I guess I'll get to learn something new.

If it is any consolation, my wife says that I had NO patience, whatsoever, before I got into wine making. Now, at least, I have a little patience!

I got patience when I started cellaring wine. 99% of commercial wines
under $20 improve with age so I started doing that 20 yrs ago(there are
none of those left
smiley19.gif
.).

Since I am a newdie to wine making, I haven't had any of my own to
drink yet. But Monday night, a friend invited us to taste his home made
kit wines. He opened three wines made from his favorite three kits in
each yr 05, 06 and 07. All were premium 16L kits, two were red and one
white. The 05s were very drinkable absolutely-comparable to a 10 to $15
commercial wine, the 06s were not quite as good mostly lacking nose,
and the 07 white was undrinkable - noticeable KT (Check other posts on
Kit Taste in this forum.)

So I've decided to give our wines a chance to be good and give them
more time than originally planned. It also means I will have to put
more away if we need two to
three years of inventory aging. Hmmm... a bottle a day x 2 yrs =
750 to 800 bottles...

George what's on special this month?

Edited by: Jack on Rainy

Haven't decided yet. Been a tad busy with something.
smiley4.gif
Look for news in the newsletter. It should go out this weekend.

I've been busy and haven't replied. I started my first kit and have been working late.
Jack,
Thanks for the information. I was hoping some of my wines might last a few years. It sounds like it is hit or miss. I'll save a few of each and see what happens.

Back