Peaches - Tom or anyone else who makes often

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffemt128

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've recently found my cousin has three peach trees that are loaded with peaches. She asked if I want the peaches for wine. Of course I said yes, I'd take whatever she was willing to give up. My question is this; with peaches, what is the best way to extract the juice? Steam? Bag? Press? Obviouly, regardless of the method, the peaches would be de-stoned then frozen. Looking for opinions from those who have previouly made peach wine as to the best method? If pressing or bagging, ferment on the skins?

Ferment on skins, yes.

Once you freeze them, they'll give up a bit of juice upon thawing but i released some anger with a potato masher on them then bagged them in straining bags & let them float during fermentation.

My biggest mistake was adding too much water, its a little thin

I am only on my third batch of wine-so I'm no expert-but my first was peach. I took them fresh, cut out the pit, and put them in a blender with sugarwater at low speed. I didn't leave them long-just enough to chop them up a bit. When the primary fermentation was done-there was just a bag of mush left-and the wine came out pretty fair I think.

Just finished de-stonning peaches. After cutting the bad parts and the seeds out I have 17.5 lbs of peaches in the freezer. Getting more this weekend.

I just freeze them for 2-3 days.

Then i thaw them out - put them in a mesh net - and throw on the pectic - and let fermentation start.

Pull the mesh bag out around 1.025 - let it drain (just drip drain) and discard. The pulp bag will not have much left - the pectic will break that down pretty good.

I also toss a little absorbic acid as well - as peaches brown easy.

Freeze them and ferment on the skins! Quarter and destone them also and se extra pectic enzyme with Peaches. I almost dble the amount of pect. enzyme when making peach wine.

I realize this is an old thread but do you de-stone before or after freezing? I thought I would be easier to wash them to remove the fuzz and cut them up with skins on BEFORE freezing. Does this sound like a plan?

I just started a batch of peach wine on Sunday 6/25/2012 based on advice from this board. I cut-up, destoned the peaches, sprinkled a little pectin enzyme over them and froze them. When I put them in the primary on Sunday there was a lot of juice already. I pitched the yeast on Monday. At this point there's not a lot of pulp left in the straining bag. (I added more pectin when I made the must)

I realize this is an old thread but do you de-stone before or after freezing? I thought I would be easier to wash them to remove the fuzz and cut them up with skins on BEFORE freezing. Does this sound like a plan?

Yes destone and slice before freezing...

Latest posts

Back