peach wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
started up a batch of jersey free stone peaches lbs,my Friend and I started at 6:30 am with breakfast and one hour later,the cutting of the peaches begun,hard to tell how much we will have but we think we will at least come out with 6gals. from raw fruit and we also steamed 2 gallons of peaches a first for use,it was a very long and tiring process,has anyone WHO has used a steamer ever calculated the cost of the gas as compared to the amount of finished product?,at present its in a gallon fermenter for a few days to give the enzymes a good chance to do their stuff,punching it down all the while then squeezing the snot out out the pulp,adding bentonite and yeast to the mix and let nature do its work,the fruit itself was OK but not really soft to work wit ,however the aroma was there as well as the taste......tepe.....it won't be as good as the one i won the gold with,but steaming to a longggggggggggtime .

What did you do to pass the time?

I would have done some "tastings"

I bet since it was your 1st time you "watched" the water boil.. LOL

You do have a good supply for that.

I process the peaches is through a food processor,and that also takes time,small batches,the time came in the steaming
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
that was worse than watching golf
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
,now comes the real hard part squeezing.
smiley7.gif
smiley7.gif
smiley7.gif
smiley7.gif
smiley7.gif
smiley7.gif
,we will see if this was all worth while later..................
smiley3.gif

Um... are you talking about using a steam juicer? If so, you just need to cut the fruit in halves or quarters, remove the pit, and steam (no food processor necessary). You will get more juice extraction if you freeze the fruit first, but it shouldn't be that time-consuming to process them.

If the peaches weere still pretty firm I would guess they were not fully ripened and would not juice as easily on that account

well its like this guys,my friend and I are very busy the the air conditioning work I do,how ever he still insisted we do this knowing the time restrictions on the both of us,,,,,,yes- the peaches were not fully ripe yet,and yes- we used both methods of wine making steaming and normal juicing ,technics,(standard wine making)..steaming for our fpac and basic wine standards,sort of,
smiley4.gif
,some times,for a friend you do what you have to do not what you want to,.....
smiley19.gif
now we have to take our time and make it work .......Ihop............
smiley2.gif
...will keep the form informed as we go .....any comments please fell free.................
smiley4.gif

You should never add bentonite so early--it inactivates enzymes. The best protocol is to allow the enzymes to do the bulk of their work FIRST. Then on the 3rd day of the ferment, add the bentonite to the primary.

I think he was referring to this

adding bentonite and yeast to the mix and let nature do its work,

in your post.

Yes--that's what I was saying. The use of bentonite with any enzyme needs to be timed---enzymes first, then add bentonite when the bulk of the work of the enzymes has finished.

Timing

PEOPLE THAT POST WAS FROM 2007 AND IF YOU STAYED WITH THE NEXT PICS WE STATED WE WERE USING THIS THREAD AS A TEST THREAD, I HAD BEEN HAVING PROBLEMS POSTING MY ZESTING PICS,SO R-USED A AN OLD THREAD,GOT IT!:wy ANY WAY YES I ALWAYS ADD BENOITE TO THE MIX IN THE BEGINNING IT HELPS BEGIN THE CLEARING PROCESS WHILE PROMOTING FERMENTATION AS WELL,ENZYMES ADDED TO THE PROCESS :c-- DOWN THE LINE ADD TO THE BREAK DOWN OF THE FRUIT AND WHEN USED CORRECTLY CAN ALSO REMOVE PECTIN HAZE.

Last edited:
Adding bentonite and enzyme at the same time will strip out any peptic enzyme added to the wine. I too do as Turock says, if I added peptic enzyme I wait until I rack to the secondary then add my bentonite . If I did not use peptic enzyme I add the bentonite as the very first ingredient to my primary

emzyems

LETS reset the verbage,bentonite in the primary and when and if you have a problem with fruit wines or white wines clearing, enzymes can reduce pectin haze and promote clearing as well as help breakdown the fruits meat in the primary.
Pectinase

Pectinase is an enzyme that breaks down pectin, a polysaccharide found in plant cell walls. Commonly referred to as pectic enzymes, they include pectolyase, pectozyme and polygalacturonase. One of the most studied and widely used[citation needed] commercial pectinases is polygalacturonase. It is useful because pectin is the jelly-like matrix which helps cement plant cells together and in which other cell wall components, such as cellulose fibrils, are embedded. Therefore pectinase enzymes are commonly used in processes involving the degradation of plant materials, such as speeding up the extraction of fruit juice from fruit, including apples and sapota. Pectinases have also been used in wine production since the 1960s.[1] The function of pectinase in brewing is twofold, first it helps breakdown the plant (typically fruit) material and so helps the extraction of flavours from the mash. Secondly the presence of pectin in finished wine causes a haze or slight cloudiness, Pectinase is used to break this down and so clear the wine.
They can be extracted from fungi such as Aspergillus niger. The fungus produces these enzymes to break down the middle lamella in plants so that it can extract nutrients from the plant tissues and insert fungal hyphae. If pectinase is boiled it is denatured (unfolded) making it harder to connect with the pectin at the active site, and produce as much juice
Pectinase

bares repeating

Pectinase is an enzyme that breaks down pectin, a polysaccharide found in plant cell walls. Commonly referred to as pectic enzymes, they include pectolyase, pectozyme and polygalacturonase. One of the most studied and widely used[citation needed] commercial pectinases is polygalacturonase. It is useful because pectin is the jelly-like matrix which helps cement plant cells together and in which other cell wall components, such as cellulose fibrils, are embedded. Therefore pectinase enzymes are commonly used in processes involving the degradation of plant materials, such as speeding up the extraction of fruit juice from fruit, including apples and sapota. Pectinases have also been used in wine production since the 1960s.[1] The function of pectinase in brewing is twofold, first it helps breakdown the plant (typically fruit) material and so helps the extraction of flavours from the mash. Secondly the presence of pectin in finished wine causes a haze or slight cloudiness, Pectinase is used to break this down and so clear the wine.
They can be extracted from fungi such as Aspergillus niger. The fungus produces these enzymes to break down the middle lamella in plants so that it can extract nutrients from the plant tissues and insert fungal hyphae. If pectinase is boiled it is denatured (unfolded) making it harder to connect with the pectin at the active site, and produce as much juice

Last edited:
joeswine, are you saying that you can add both together in the primary? All research I have done on them says that they can't be added together.

Here are my procedures on them.

I do add pectic during the time I am extracting the juice usually when my fruit is thawing out in a large fermenter. I then press the juice into a primary.

If I add pectic to the primary at the start, I do not add bentonite. I will add bentonite when I rack to the secondary.

If I add bentonite to the primary I do not add pectic. May add pectic after racking if I feel that the wine will benefit from it.

We put the enzyme in on the first day in order to get the fruit somewhat broken down so that PH and brix readings are a little more accurate. Then we add bentonite on the 3rd day of the ferment, as the enzyme has already done its job. We don't like the fussing around with bentonite in the secondary, altho you can do it that way.

It's not an either/or kind of deal with the two---you just have to time the bentonite addition so that the enzymes don't get inactivated.

Turock, Much the same as I do. I add it after my fruit thaws out to help extract the juice. I have only put bentonite in the primary if it is a kit wine. I mess with it in the secondary, and usually it has done its work with the 2nd racking of the secondary. Might try it in the primary after a couple days of ferment. Do you then mix it into suspension and rack over to the secondary or do you leave it on the bottom of the primary when you rack to the secondary? With kits you mix it into suspension and rack it into the secondary.

The action of the CO2 brings the bentonite up from the bottom and keeps it in suspension. Not necessary to stir before you rack like you're doing with the kits. Just siphon off and allow what is on the bottom of the primary to remain there. There is plenty of bentonite in the wine, as the wine will be like milk coming out of the primary.

Latest posts

Back