Peach Wine 1 Gal Primary?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waynep

Junior
Reaction score
I have a 3 1/2 gal bucket (food grade from a restaurant) with a lid. I can drill a hole in the lid and fit a stopper and air-lock. Is that too big of a container for a primary for a 1 gal batch of wine?

Also, the recipes I am looking at basically say add fruit, ingredients and add water to get to one gallon. However when I pull the skins out (stuff in mesh bag) it'll take out some of the volume and when I rack to a 1 gal jug for secondary it'll be shy some liquid. Shouldn't I add water up to about maybe 1 1/4 gal to account for that before I start the primary fermentation?

So two questions:
1) Is a 3 1/2 gal bucket ok for primary for a 1 gal batch?
2) don't I need about 1 1/4 gal or so to account for pulling the solids out with the mesh bag in order to leave 1 gal for the secondary?

I have only made one batch of wine in my life and it was a kit Riesling so this is my first fruit wine.

I have 43 lbs of pears (weight before pitting etc) in the freezer coming up soon for a 5 gal batch . . .

After researching the Keller site I found this recipe that I think I'll use:

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques26.asp

The bottom one with the grape concentrate . . . .

Thanks
Wayne

Your bucket should be fine. Make some extra to use for topping up. Put it in some smaller bottles under airlock when you rack to secondary.

Pear wine is pretty light. If at all possible, juice them and use pure juice with no water added. Takes lots of pears, but makes an excellant wine. Good luck with it, Arne.

Back