Peach Problem #2

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony49

Reaction score
My peach wine was racked from the primary two weeks ago. Per instructions it has one more week in the secondary (two one gallon jugs) before being racked again and possibly sweetened.
Problem:
Jug #2 appears to have slowed firmentation to nil. The color is like straw. Lots of lees at the bottom. Taste is fairly flat with an alcoholic jolt. The hydrometer went to .999
What I did: Shook the bottle and stirred a bit. Added 1/2 tspn of yeast energizer. Topped up with some of the leftover juice/water/sugar that is mildly fermenting on the side in a 750ml.
Drank the test sample :d
Now 3 hours later it seems to be coming back to life with more bubbles rising to the neck.
Should I be doing something different or more agressive to this jug?
The other jug (#1) seems to be fermenting very well. Not as many lees. Great deep peach color.
Your insight would be very well appreciated.
Thanks,
Tony...

Last edited:
Patience is the key. I've had 2 - 5 gal. carboy's of Peach side by side, did EVERY thing the same, 1 cleared in weeks, the other took 8mo. to clear to the same degree as the 1st. Both tasted the same in the end, great, really rough in the early weeks. Roy

If both gallons were in the primary, and fermented together, i would guess that when you racked, one of the gallons had a higher # of active yeast than the other - resulting in one finishing quicker than the other.

The way i've counteracted this, as i've seen it too, is to stir my primary before/during racking to secondary, and just racking over all the sediment in the bottom. I guess you could also rack off the primary, into a larger secondary & stir that, then rack again to get it under airlocks - if you dont prefer the sediment-finish.

Your scenario is most likely Deezil. As you can guess, gallon #2 was second off the primary and picked up most of the sediment.
Roy, thanks for checking in. Your right about the patience thing. I do plan to age this batch.
Quick question please: Do you use acid blend or lemon in your peach?
I'm going to go to a larger secondary in the near future. Probably 3 gallons.
Appreciate your input gentlemen.
Tony...

Back