Peach & Niagara Blend

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fly*guy

Reaction score
Hello everyone.....
got this little problem I've been dealing with.... My Peach/Niagara wine that was already bottled as refermented or started to in the bottle, and it is not just a few of them its an entire batch, 6 gallons, don't know if my son forgot to stabilize or what happened but never the less that's the issue.
So... to keep from having ezploding bottles I opened the bottles and dumped them back into a carboy and I have allowed them to sit now for about 45 days. The carboy is very slowly fermenting away and I can still see bubbles rising through the wine.

What can be done with this if anything to stop the fermentation or should it just be left to ferment to dry again and then try to stabilize again at that point?
Thought about sitting it out in the PA cold for a bit to try and stop it and then filtering and stabilizing while still chilled.
Anyone wish to throw in an idea?
By the way it still has very good flavor and besides CO2 is in very good condition
</font></font>

I would check the SG, if it doesn't change in a couple of days I'd say it's co2 you're seeing. Maybe it just needs a good degassing. Was this backsweetened before it was bottled? If no sorbate was added that's probably what caused refermentation.

BOB

Yes, I back sweetened to 1.020. The SG continues to drop at a very slow pace so I know it is not just CO2 escaping form the carboy.

Give it a good stir and get the temp. up about 72 to 74 degrees.....that should speed things up.....fermenting the wine that long can stress the yeast and give you more problems.....GOOD LUCK..

have you degassed fully?
Like above, ck gravity after you degassed and then 3 days later. Get back when done.

Wine is fully degassed and temps are up.

Today I moved it to a clean carboy and degassed by vacuum pump, current SG is at 1.002 - so I will let it stand for a few days check SG again and see what happens
smiley18.gif

abv is about 13% ouch! but my 1st peach of peach a few years ago came in at about 12% abv, so with some time and patients might be able to add some additional flavor and sugars and save this nectar --- rrrr rocket fuel, thanks guys

FYI, 1st batch wasn't to bad after about 6 months in the bottle.

Back