Peach is underway!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanie

Reaction score
We have liftoff! Yeast is pitched! There's nothing to do but wait!
I ended up moving about a gallon and a half to a 3 gallon carboy and gave it a full packet of yeast.

<div align="center">
20060822_192755_Peach_wine_001.jpg

The primary fermenter is right at the 6 gallon line so I'm feeling good about it. Here is the must before adding the yeast.

<div align="center">
20060822_193052_Peach_wine_002.jpg

<div align="left">If it tastes half as good as wine as it does as juice, it'll be delish! =)

Will be a very good wine Joan but I would plan on waiting at least a year before drinking it. Peach likes some age under its cork Edited by: Waldo

Waldo is spot on. Ourpeach was harsh jet fuel at 6 - 9 months, then it just blossomed at one year. It's wierd how that works!

Joan - that looks awesome.

Hey JOJO

Did you use fresh peaches and if you did did you scrape the red part out around the stone. I just picked up some peaches and skined them and halved them, Put them in 5 lb. bags and in the freezer. will make 6 gallons in about 3 weeks.

Thanks

Harry

Ok, the primay bucket is working like it should now but the extra I put in a 3 gallon isn't bubbling at all. The SG has dropped but it seems like it ought to be visibly working too. Should I worry about it? Should I try and add it to the bucket?

I too have a 6 gal batch going. Tonight was three weeks from start, and my second racking. I added a bag of ground raisins during primary. it helped motivate the yeast and will hopefully add a little body. I'm glad Waldo said something about aging it. I gave some of the extra a try and it is definitely ready to launch the shuttle. I dipped a PH strip and it came in at 2.0 Highly acidic. Is the acidity something to be concerned with? Or is it something that will mellow with time? I'm considering just leaving it in the Carboy and aging it in there, maybe wintering in the garage will knock some of the edge off?
Anyways, it was fun taking my boys to the orchard and picking the fruit ourselves. I also picked 8 pounds of blackberries thatI also racked tonight. The blackberry was awesome. I can't imagine how it will be after a few months under the cork.

The Cotes Des Blanc is an average yeast . Sort of on the slower side
but pretty good for stuck fermentations. When you pop the lid do you
hear any fizzing? If not much must in a big container, it will take
along time to build up pressure and wont bubble the airlock as much but
doing the same as would in a smaller container, just not as visible.

Harry said:
Hey JOJO

Did you use fresh peaches and if you did did you scrape the red part out around the stone. I just picked up some peaches and skined them and halved them, Put them in 5 lb. bags and in the freezer. will make 6 gallons in about 3 weeks.

Thanks

Harry

Harry -

Ours was made from canned peaches. #10 size Del Monte sliced with syrup and all. I aim to get some fresh peach made soon, though. I've never heard of scraping the red around the stone. Is it bitter?

Jojo

Peach update:

Peach was started Tuesday evening. The primary pail is fine. It's working away.

The extra juice is still just sitting. No bubbling of any kind. The SG has not changed more than a couple of notches since last Tuesday. I have about 1 1/2 gallons in a 3 gallon carboy. I add a 1/2 tsp of yeast nutrient on Friday morning and added a second packed of yeast Friday night. Saturday night I racked it and racked it back into the carboy. This morning? Sitll nothing. =(

I can't figure out why one container is working and the other isn't the only difference is there is a bag of peaches in the pail.

Help! Can it be saved? What else can I do to jump start it? Thanks.

Joan, would you recommend Cotes Des Blanc for Peach? I just started a batch last night, and was going to pitch the yeast tonight. I was just going to use some Lalvin?? Your input would be great...

Yes I would, Kutya. Just be prepare to wait a loooong time for things to start working. Also, make sure your yeast is fresh! I pitched Tuesday evening and had a bubble every 5-10 minutes 48 hours later. By the next morning it was working along the way it should. It's kind of a gentle fermenting.

I FINALLY have some action on the juice in the carboy! I repitched Saturday night with some of George's fresh Cotes and I'm starting to see foam on the top of the juice and the airlock is at least not sitting there dead! I'm guessing it will be working well by tomorrow morning.

I just finished racking the 6 gallons from the primary. Damn, I feel rich!!! =)

I have not ventured into the Lalvin yeasts only because I have used the
Red Star Premier Cuvee and Cotes Des Blanc with absolutley no problems
at all. So far Every wine has started bubbling in 6 hours and never
gave up till .990, even after screwing up one of my wines by topping
off with almost 3/4 gallon of water. Inexperience almost ruined that
one but I was able to save it with rethinking and some help from these
pros. Moral of this story, ask questions before you make THE MISTAKE
like I did.

I had some Red Star Cuvee, so I tried it.. In 3 hours at 74 degrees, I was fementing. I checked it this am for a quick stir and we were still in business. Thanks for the info... When Joan said wait a looooooong time, I tried the other....

I just noticed I am a groupie member.... WOW!!!! please hold your applause..... I hated being a newbie.....

Latest posts

Back