WineXpert Peach Ice wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Started this kit Tuesday night but had a delivery problem as when I received it it had a pretty good leak and was missing about 1/2 gallon. I replaced the missing 1/2 gallon with 8 cans of Welches white grape and that pretty much put me right on with the sg where it was supposed to be. They are replacing this kit so if it dont come out that good Im at no loss but must say that it didnt taste much different after adding those cans. I will probably mix these 2 kits together once they are both done anyway so even if there is a little difference the new kit will dillute the older 1 anyway.

What brand is that kit? Peach Ice sounds incredible. Let me know how it comes out.

It is W.E. and is a Pre-order special edition. There may be some left out there but you better look fast if you are thinking about it!

This is going to be my next batch just as soon as I free up a carboy. I'm really excited about this one and already feel like I should have purchased two of these.

Received y replacement kit today and racked the other to glass and it was right on the money with the addition of all the Niagara concentrate I added when started. The new 1 in the same ucket filled my primary up to 3 1/2 gallons so me thinks Im going to need a 3 liter jug for run off.

Just racked both of these together and tried a little from each primary just to see if there was a taste difference and I could not taste any. I must say that the base for this wine should be its own kit as it tastes very goo right now which surprised me cause its nasty looking and usually tastes like yeast and mud at this stage. It had very strong pineapple taste to it. Thinking of possibly leaving 1 gallon as is since I ended up with extra, maybe even make a pineapple f-pack for it.
Edited by: wade

Waldo, it is a Vidal base. Phyllis, the starting SG was 1.164 and has fermented to 1.056 and is stable now. It has a very small f-pack that will raise the sg up to around 1.065 but is mostly peach flavor, it is the smallest f-pack Ive seen but with a sg already that high I see why. I will be adding the stabilizers and f-pack probably today.

Added the stabilizers, f-packs, and fining agent today and men this dble kit is dropping some serious sediment. These kits require the sediment to be stirred back into suspension so between what was already there and what the Isinglass is taking down I have a good 2" in there now but Im hoping that will compact down ALOT!!!!!!!!

20081214_181437_Ice.jpg

Well no sign of clearing yet and have some lees sitting on the side of my carboy that just does not want to go down even with the quick twist. I degassed this wine good and held a vac of 22". took gravity reading today and will watch to see if this moves at all. Im seeing little bubbles and hope its not starting to ferment again . I added both packets of k-meta and both packets of sorbate before adding f-packs. we'll see what happens. Not having much luck with these limited editions this year!
smiley18.gif
i know its a little early to be seeing much clearing but would expect to see something, temp is 75*.
Edited by: wade

As much sediment as you have, i agree wade. It should be clearing a lot

If its not fermenting and Ill check that in a few days to see if the sg has gone down then Ill hit it with SuperKleer.

Remember, wade, the sorbate does not prevent fermentation, it just stops the yeast from reproducing. With all the lees you have in there you could have enough viable yeast cells to restart the fermentation. I would rack off that big pile of lees.

The kit instructions say that you need to stir up the lees and keep them for the Isinglass to work. I was contemplating tossing the Isinglass aside, racking off the lees and using SuperKleer but told myself to use what they include and follow instructions. I really do hate Isinglass as this is the second time it has failed me with a kit! From now on I will just throw it out!!

Good news is that it is not fermenting, bad news is that it is still not clearing at all, anyone have this in its clearing stages? Ill leave it till the weekend to see if it progresses at all then rack off sediment and hit it with SuperKleer if not.

Okay Ladies and Gents, Ive come to the conclusion on this Peach Ice wine that because of the viscosity I would advise spending some serious time degassing this kit in the PRIMARY BUCKET! I have previously degassed this with a mix stir and brake bleeder vacuum but I have just racked this off those lees as it didnt clear for anything and now have it in a fresh carboy and have added SuperKleer and it is still throwing off serious gas. This stuff is so thick that its hard for the gas to get out of suspension and gets caught at the top of carboy. Because its so thick using a vacuum on it is like trying to pull air out of gear lube. I also added a little pectic enzyme just in case there was a little haze from the peach additive.We'll see what happens but right now Im still struggling with degassing this beast.

Spoke with Linda from Winexpert and she said this wine shoud be crystal clear like ant of their wines like I assumed, she is sending me some Chitosan to try. There are a few others on another forum with the same problem as me so I know its not my funky batch going on. the SuperKleer and pectic enzyme has done a little but still very hazy.

Hey Wade,
What's the status of your peach ice wine? I just pitched the yeast for mine this morning and I'm hoping that everything goes smooth. This was the first ice wine I've done and I was a little jumpy when the SG reading was so high. I double checked the table in the instructions and yes, that's where it is supposed to be.

Looking forward to hearing how yours turns out and also hopping mine is a success.
Monty

Latest posts

Back