paint smell

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rem1

Reaction score
Going to started on my first batch of wine from kits. A Orchard Breezin then original selection, white merlot. Im new at this &would liketo start the Breezin mist wine this sat.Weekends will give me plenty of time to clean & sanitize.
Will be making the kits in a spare beedroom - office. The wife has talked me into repainting the room. Question: After I paint that "paint smell" will linger for a few days. If there is a chance that smell could affect the must fermenting I will wait till next weekend to start. If not tomorrow is the day. What do you all think? This saturday or wait till next week?

I just would not take the chance, waiting a week will not affect the outcome of your wine hardly any, as it probally needs to age close to a year anyway.

You could start it in another room and then put the lid on with airlock as it will not suck in any air and once fermentation starts, usually in a day, it will be letting out CO2. So as long as you sytart it in another room and snap the lid on with airlock you are safe.

I would think that latex paint wouldn't really have fumes that would get into things, however, oil based sure would!

I agree with Wade. Start it in another room, and once ferm starts, you are actually outgassing, rather than breathing.

I can't hardly beleive it. The very ones who tell us new guys to wait give it time are now impatient.
smiley5.gif
the next time you guys are at the zoo go ahead and put your face against the monkey cage bars, you'll be ok
smiley2.gif

It's his first batch. Who can remember waiting to start winemaking

I wouldnt advise this with an open primary bucket Tomy but being sealed with lid will prevent the wine from any harm.

I got a laugh out of your replies. My computer has been disconnected as I move stuff around to paint the room, and my wife also talked me into shampooing all of the carpets.
smiley5.gif
At least I have a sanitized wine room now!

Yes, this is my first kit, and I am anxious. Been reading this forum for about a year and have been making "virtual" wines for at least 9 months. Bout time I start on the real thing!

As a true Arkansan, I went to the Cotton Bowl game with my daughter this past week. I used this as an excuse to get close to The Wine Maker's Toy Store near Dallas. After the game I really needed something to cheer me up (obviously). Congrats to Mizzou fans, I guess.
smiley18.gif
To cheer me up I bought the premier wine-making package.

Yes, it is latex paint, the room has been aired out and the room doesn't smell too bad. Just kind of 'rubbery.' I'll probably air it out again tomorrow and start my first kit tomorrow afternoon! If I have any questions I will definitely ask you guys.

I don't recommend sticking your faces against the monkey cage bars at the zoo! Thanks for your patience.Edited by: rem1

Carpeting in a wine room??? Yikes! Keep the shampooer handy, Rem! I know I can't do any wine work without spilling or dripping somewhere! As long as you stick to white wines a white carpet will be fine!
smiley4.gif

Edited by: Joan

What a lovely psychadelic carpet you will have in a couple of years rem1. Will be the envy of the neighborhood
smiley36.gif

Our "Hogs" went down like a one egg pudding didn't they !!!
Probably had nothing whatsoever to do with the outcome but I was thinking the whole game that there was not a coach on our our sideling that was going to be at Arkansas after that game and would probably be in the best interest of a couple of them ( as far as recruiting would go ) that we lose the game.Edited by: Waldo

Illinois & Da bears are in the same boat, down stream without a paddle. Glad you waited a couple days for the worst of the fumes to dissapate. Good luck with your vino.

Joan, you mean wine making can be messy?
smiley3.gif
smiley36.gif

Our carpet is 17 years old and already very stained from raising 3 daughters. If we can get the last one out of college, it might be replaced in a year or two! I plan on trying to be very neat, but we'll see how this goes...

My choices are either to make the wine in this room, or to make it in the garage where the dogs live, which is not very practical. However, between you and Waldo, if I get a lot of psychidelic wine stains on my carpet, in a few years I could probably cut it into one-foot squares and sell it on Ebay.
smiley2.gif
I thinkI might be able to make a fortune. Wouldn't you like to have a piece of stained carpet hanging up in your wine making room? You can point to the stains and say this is a "mist strawberry" or a white merlot, or even point to two stains and say this is the difference between a chocolate raspberry and chocolate orange port. Maybe I can even work out a scratch and smell! Think I'll skip the licking part, though!

Waldo, you and I think alike when it comes to the Razorbacks. I think your special Razorback muscadine wine was the edge with LSU. That's why your first wine this year is muscadine. All I can say is, pick lots of muscadines this summer and call me if you need any help!
smiley2.gif

Got my first one fermenting now, smells great! So far, no stains. Wish me luck!

Back